Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DanB84

Best Yoga Mat?

11 posts in this topic

Hey Dan, I am not that familiar with Jade - I had used their mats before (and like them a lot!) but I don't own one. However, if it's helpful, from the few classes I've taken where I've used a Jade mat, I've found it to be slip-resistent and of excellent quality. Hope that helps! 

I had a jade yoga mat for a while.  It was nice to practice on, but it wore out after one year and I have not got another jade since.  It likely wore out because I left it in my car (out of a bag) in the sun and the rubber was falling apart.  I didn't replace it because it was hard to clean.  I have been using a manduka for the last 3-4years and I love it.  They take some time to break in (slippery!) but after the first few sessions they are cushioned, don't slip, and hold up well.

MrBalloonHands likes this

I had a jade yoga mat for a while.  It was nice to practice on, but it wore out after one year and I have not got another jade since.  It likely wore out because I left it in my car (out of a bag) in the sun and the rubber was falling apart.  I didn't replace it because it was hard to clean.  I have been using a manduka for the last 3-4years and I love it.  They take some time to break in (slippery!) but after the first few sessions they are cushioned, don't slip, and hold up well.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will definitely take this into consideration. 

I'm looking to get a new yoga mat and am relatively new to yoga and wondering what is the best mat? Thanks. I have been looking at this one....

http://www.amazon.com/Jade-Harmony-Professional-Yoga-Midnight/dp/B000ECBQXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413194813&sr=8-1&keywords=jade+yoga+mat

Hi,

I finally settled on my Jade Harmony mat and love it!!  I had tried the extra long Manduka one that my husband purchased (AND LOVES!!) after reading so many great things about it but I was still slipping around a bit.  When I tried the Jade mat I stuck to it with no problems.  I love it and feel really secure on it. I have had it for several months now and it looks great but I keep in in a mat bag inside the house and never leave it in the heat of my car.  So many people like their mats for different reasons so you never know..... Hope this helps :-)

I use a Jade mat but also own a memory foam mat by vernicevita.com. I have fibromyalgia and it helps with pressure on my knees and other places that need a little cushion. I have a 6 ft. round mandala mat that I have in my "yoga space" all the time and that is usually what I practice on. I use my jade or memory foam one to take with me when I practice away from home.

Didn't see this post, but I shared my Jade mat experience here:

I've had mine for about 3 years, and only recently it's been showing some rubbing / worn out spots where my hands and feet go for downward dog.  It's been stored always indoors, so it must have been the sun that hurt Katie's mat.  I agree with Katie that it can be hard to clean because it's so sticky and catches dust or fur (if you have a pet).  But hosing it off with just water outside and drying it on a drying rack has been enough for me.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer to the quest for the best yoga mat. The selection of mats available is crazy!  I have not tried a Jade mat, but I have heard very good things about them. I suggest checking the weight if you plan on taking your mat to studio classes. I once bought a mat online not realizing that it was seven+ pounds and a bit awkward to haul to classes. Other things to consider are the type of yoga you will be practicing (hot? vinyasa? restorative? this may determine how important the stickiness and thickness of your mat is) and your budget (although I don't feel more $$$ is necessarily better, but I would definitely invest in something of a better quality than what you might find at a big box store).

I currently use the Tapas Ultra mat. I have used it for ten(!) years, and I am amazed it is just now starting to show small tears in certain spots. While certainly still usable, I am currently on the lookout for a new mat since my days on this mat look to be numbered. I am undecided on whether to buy another Tapas Ultra (the reviews aren't that good and makes me wonder if they changed it over the last decade?) or to go for a Jade mat (great reviews and I can get a discount on one through my yoga studio). 

If you go with the Jade, please check back and let us know how you like it!

A good mats made you better. Mats have come a long way in the last decade, so if yoga is a big part of your life, take advantage of it and buy one that feels good under your body.

You can choose Nike, Adidas, Lululemon, Manduka or Hummal Yoga mat

I had a jade mat and I love it. I've had to opportunity to try out a few different brands of high-end mats, and truthfully, any non-PVC mat are all pretty comparable to me, but if price is not being considered, Liforme mats have stood out to me. That being said, they are very expensive. Cork mats, like Yoloha, are also very nice, especially if you're doing hot yoga. Best budget mat? I would go with HuggerMugger. They do have PVC mats that I would avoid, but they have some nice quality non-slip ones for a fraction of the price of some other top brands.