Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryD517

Cramping hamstrings

8 posts in this topic

I do a lot of stretching during warm up (10 minutes of legs on the wall every day of the week). I perform forward fold, down dog, etc., following all the moves in the typical vinyasa class.

However, when I need to grab my foot , like this pose...

unnamed5.jpg

...some of the time my hamstring cramps up.

Are there any additional exercises or poses that I could do to prevent this?

Thanks!

Lorelei likes this

Hmm. If you're doing a solid warm up first I would say it may have to do with breathing....although can't be 100% certain. As you inhale, lift and grab hold of the foot. As you exhale, just take a second to be in the pose. Be sure you're spreading your toes because this kind of fires everything in the foot/leg on. Then, as you inhale again, breathe through the whole back body to avoid compression. The hamstring is connected to the hip which is connected to the back - everything is kind of woven into each other, so we want length through the entire front and back body. If there's any compression, it could be hitting just the spot to produce a cramp or tightening. 

Lorelei likes this

LarryD517, same thing with me.  I hope we both eliminate this nagging glitch soon!

It seems no matter how much stretching I do, these moves can cause cramping. I tried Candace's breathing advice today and it was okay 

That's great news! That really does confirm breathing helps us prevent tensing up. I used to have a recurring foot cramp triggered by a pose that was hard for me to not tense up in anticipation.