yogafire

What's the most "un-yogic" impulse you had during class?

9 posts in this topic

OK, so I understand the concept of ahimsa, but, I still kill flies if they're inside my house. I understand this can bother some people, so, if that includes you, please stop reading!

It's spring time, so we get these giant flies that like to come indoors - they buzz so loudly that I think they're bumblebees, and it startles me usually.  I honestly think if the buzzing wasn't there, I wouldn't mind as much (since they don't bite like mosquitoes). So, I just killed one at my house the other night, by turning off all the lights, and once he landed on my computer monitor, I smacked him so hard with a flyswatter that he fell down right away. Good, he didn't have to suffer.  Anyway, I got a little proud of myself for my whacking skills because my husband has definitely missed before!

So, the other day we were winding down at the end of class, so I knew shavasana was coming near. But, then, giant fly buzzes overhead, and I instinctively reel back. And then, I thought, "Let me whack him hard with my yoga block! Or roll up my mat to use! I can get him!"  I laughed to myself, thinking how appalling and disruptive that would have been.  I did let the fly go, and luckily he found some other place to buzz around during shavasana.

Anyway, I found this whole circumstance amusing - so I was wondering, has anyone had some un-yogic impluse that they did or did not act upon during class? Something you would normally do outside of yoga class but felt it was inappropriate during class?

Hildegard and jvanhouten like this

When I get to class, before it starts, I lie down on my mat in the nice warm room and start falling asleep. When the teacher arrives I'm so disappointed he/she has interrupted my nap. I could honestly just pay to sleep there for 1.5 hours on the floor.

brenskip55 and yogafire like this

4 hours ago, Jasmine said:

When I get to class, before it starts, I lie down on my mat in the nice warm room and start falling asleep. When the teacher arrives I'm so disappointed he/she has interrupted my nap. I could honestly just pay to sleep there for 1.5 hours on the floor.

I don't have my teacher's certificate, but if you want you can sleep on my floor. I charge only $20 for an hour an a half long sleep/class. :P

3 hours ago, LarryD517 said:

I don't have my teacher's certificate, but if you want you can sleep on my floor. I charge only $20 for an hour an a half long sleep/class. :P

28 degree Celsius room, nag champa, some nice music and candles and I'm there! 

17 minutes ago, Jasmine said:

28 degree Celsius room, nag champa, some nice music and candles and I'm there! 

28 degrees Farehheit (during the winter, I'll leave the windows open);  I'm really good at nagging (just ask my kids); I'll install Pandora; my wife has some yahrzeit candles (I'll let you google that one) in the cabinets, okay

Jasmine likes this

I've found myself questioning an online instructor's sanity (and parentage) while doing a class that deeply disagreed with my body and my limits. Yelling at my computer was not one of my more dignified, let alone yogic, moments. Oops.

scottcraft likes this

HA HA HA @yogafire. It's funny you bring up flies during yoga. I was in downward facing dog the other day and this giant fly was buzzing around my head and I just couldn't take it. My "zen" was broken. I stopped doing yoga and killed that fly - laughing like a maniac when I was successful - before returning to my yoga calm as ever. :) I hate flies! They are not yoga friendly!

yogafire likes this