Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vanityandsanity

Establishing a home practice

3 posts in this topic

I attend classes regularly but for some reason I really struggle with establishing a solid home practice. Sometimes I have luck with videos but often I really struggle to find the focus and follow through to do it.

anyone have any tips? I've thought about trying mornings since I am pretty spent by night time (and I chase my kids around during the days, generally). I don't know why I can't get past this hump when I am pretty disciplined about going to classes. 

HI! The one thing that stood out for me with very little information was chasing all day, busy day then tired. You didn't say what yoga you are doing now but if it is an active type maybe that is wrong for you in the evenings. Balance the Yin and Yang. I have more Japanese type understanding of this rather than Indian, that is where I get the words Yin - Yang. So your Yang is active busy day. The balance would be Yin, quiet , calm, gentle. Maybe try a restorative or gentle type practice in the evening. See how that affects you and see if that is what you need? Let us know if this was helpful or if you are looking for more help.

Have you got any favourites you could simply do without the 'structure' of a video or flow? Often at home I will do something as simple as stretch in bed for half an hour and I feel I'm getting a lot of benefits but it doesn't feel like a chore at all, it's quite enjoyable. Other nights I lock myself away and no husband/kids/pets are allowed to enter and I put on a nice candle and do some yin yoga. Or practicing something fun with the kids, like handstands, during the day. At home I try to make it more about really feeling great (and alone time) rather than feeling like it's something I 'have' to do.

If you really feel like you should be doing certain things at home, one thing I used to do while doing yoga challenges was get up and put my yoga gear on. I can be quite lazy at times so it felt easier to put my yoga gear on and do the challenge than get changed haha.