Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anahata

Feeling really anxious, too many people in classes

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I started teaching a class sometime ago. Before the first class I was wondering if anyone would be there. But people started showing up and I was relieved to have that. Then more people and the first class was about 12. Which was unexpected but no problem I can watch 12, but that is about all I am comfortable with. Every class since there has been more and more, now it is up to about 20. This studio had some large classes before but the teachers were OK with it because of their style of class. For me I am only comfortable with 12 maybe a few more.

The owner knows this is an issue and there won’t be any hassles to keep the classes smaller but they don’t have any pre signup system or anything like that. I or we need help to figure out how to limit class size. I am really concerned about this. The people in the class seem really good at listening and taking care of themselves but I don't know what is going to happen if the class gets even larger.  Help please.

Is it possible to get an assistant? Is there another teacher whose style is similar to yours or new graduates of YTT who'd volunteer their time to get more experience?

Or, is there a smaller room you can switch to? It might get self selected - some people might go to smaller classes instead. I hate to feel like i need to compete trying to get into a class and get there 10 min early.

Anyway, maybe as you get to know the students and their practice, you can help more than one person at a time just by calling out their name with verbal cues while adjusting another physically. This is how one of my teachers handled it with 20 people. Other than that, I don't expect personal attention in a class  bigger than 16, so, try not to put all the burden on yourself! I wish there were more teachers like you, though!

Thank you so much.

I have an assistant! Except I didn’t ask them, they sent me a message asking me this. So your thoughts must have made to where they were needed (it may be possible?) I won’t have an assistant for this week’s class but next week it will start. And she is a very a experienced teacher who knows many of the people in the class. The class is somewhat fast paced so I don’t have time and I am not qualified to give adjustments. But the other teacher will be able to do that. And we are never really suppose to single out people in class, that is something to be careful with. It may be OK in some classes but have to be careful. If I see one or two that have bad alignment I give a general instruction or cue to the whole class and they seem to follow it. They are really good with that. 

I have never taught anything before and all of a sudden all these people in class. And there was suppose to be the owner or another teacher in the class to observe me at the start. But that only lasted for two classes. I was feeling a little overwhelmed. Talk about being throw right into it. It turns out you can’t take child’s pose when you are teaching, haha.

brenskip55 likes this

Wow! I remember you mentioned there weren't any nearby yoga studios before - did you move, or are you now starting up a new one in your area?  I think that's so exciting though to have that much interest.  And that's great the class is listening and learning from you.  Can you do a breathing / centering exercise at the beginning of class, for your benefit too? :) It's understandably overwhelming.  Sometimes I wondered why we had to do breathing exercises, but, now I can appreciate them!

I live in a small town between 3 cities and it is too far for me to drive just to go to a yoga class. I go to them once in while if I happen to be there. If I am teaching a class and can plan a few other things to take care of then it is fine. And it is only once a week. The one I teach at is actually a gym with yoga as well. But it is by far the best yoga place in that area. It just started out the exact opposite of what I expected. Everything is all good now... until the next surprise happens!