Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryD517

What is something you'd like to tell your teacher?

11 posts in this topic

Sometimes in class there are things you'd like to say to your teacher...but don't feel comfortable doing so, or are afraid to hurt their feelings, etc. Let's have a thread where people can discuss things that they'd love to say...but won't.

My issues...

• A teacher who is brand new to teaching, (she's only one two classes so far)...
    • ...turned up the volume of the song during savasana. Yeah, I know you have a favorite song, but isn't the end of the class supposed to be a calming, relaxing time?
    • ...spent the entire time on the mat performing the poses. As the class has a lot of beginner/intermediate practitioners, I thought it would be better for her to walk around and guide/correct/encourage the participants.
  • I understand Ashtanga is supposed to be the same every week, but in other classes, I'd like a bit more variety. Some teachers repeat the same class week after week. I like the class to be 80% repetitive and 20% new stuff
  • Many classes have participants that always show up 5-10 minutes after the class started (it's at a gym, not a studio). I'd wish the teacher would address the latecomers (directly or indirectly) and ask them to try and show up on time without distracting the class
brenskip55 and YogaByCandace like this

This reminds me! 3 years ago I had a sub for an hour long class, and we spent 30 min on pranayama.  And I was like.. Why?? I really hated it. She announced at the end that this was Forrest yoga. Strange. I wanted to tell her I thought it was a waste of a class, and this is why I usually avoid going to subs.

A few years ago, I then tried out another class that was Forrest based, and then I started going to the other Forrest teachers and enjoyed it. Next thing I knew, that same teacher who hated before came to my studio as a permanent teacher! But I recognized her and went up to her right away and said, " I'm really sorry to admit this, but your class was the first Forrest class I took, and I just couldn't stand it at the time. But now I love it!" And she told me that the style was completely polarizing to her at first, too, that she wasn't sure if she loved it or hated it.

I attend her classes regularly now, and she told me that she loves telling my story to everyone else! There are still some styles of pranayama that I don't enjoy as much, but I try to keep an open mind.

So long story short.. You can always tell the teacher later when you are more comfortable. :) took me 3 years for that opportunity!

or for the latecomers aspect, you can see if the gym  staff could start enforcing latecomers from entering after 5 min late.

YogaByCandace likes this

When I was pregnant I went to a yoga class where the teacher was having us do something that involved sitting with knees bent and feet on the floor. Our knees were supposed to be together but I was 7 months pregnant so putting them together wasn't going to happen. She came over and kept trying to push them together. I probably should have pointed out that it wasn't possible but I was pregnant and irritable and just let her figure it out on her own... 

My biggest pet peeve is when yoga teachers use their class time as their own personal practice. I've seen new students doing downward dog in ways that could result in injury and the teachers are too into their own down dog to even notice, let alone correct. This has happened way too often.

On a positive note, I had a teacher in college who would spend 45 minutes on one pose. It was hard and tiring but he broke down each of the poses into little parts and spent a lot of time talking about breath and the anatomy of proper yoga. To date, that semester long class has been the most beneficial to my yoga practice. I draw from his teaching every time I'm on my mat.

YogaByCandace and brenskip55 like this

43 minutes ago, Salgueira said:

My biggest pet peeve is when yoga teachers use their class time as their own personal practice. I've seen new students doing downward dog in ways that could result in injury and the teachers are too into their own down dog to even notice, let alone correct.

+1

At my fitness center, I wouldn't say it happens way too often...but it happens,

YogaByCandace and brenskip55 like this

Please, please help your class space out their mats. Sometimes I can tell that people come in and feel like they don't know where to go. It would be better for them, and the class. Please also take charge and make sure there is enough space between us so we can practice safely.

YogaByCandace likes this

Well I would say to all teachers, please tell people to try to be on time, and not dropping in after 20 minutes.

To my teacher who recently moved away I would like to tell her that I really listened to her during class and took it all in, often carrying it with me for days and her advice often helped me to improve my practice. Even though it usually took some days for it all to sink in. And that, although we did not interact much at all and I am not the chatty person before, after or during class, she became a part of my practice and I cried in the car after her last class.

Hildegard, yogafire and brenskip55 like this

6 hours ago, helenschki said:

To my teacher who recently moved away I would like to tell her that I really listened to her during class and took it all in, often carrying it with me for days and her advice often helped me to improve my practice. Even though it usually took some days for it all to sink in. And that, although we did not interact much at all and I am not the chatty person before, after or during class, she became a part of my practice and I cried in the car after her last class.

That's beautiful.  I did not get the chance to say goodbye to one of my teachers that moved away - the studio said they could not disclose her email address, but said they could forward my thank you note to her via email on my behalf.  I never got a response, but, I was happy I at least wrote it down.  

Thanks for sharing here - and, if you still wish, consider asking your studio if they can forward a thank you note to the teacher for you (or share the email address if you wish to write personally).  I find it hard to talk after class and express how I feel - I often get nervous, so my words get all jumbled!  So, writing is a better medium for me.

helenschki likes this

Thanks. it is great how a yoga practice can affect you so deeply. My teacher is hopefully coming back in 6 months time so I will tell her then.

yogafire likes this

10 hours ago, helenschki said:

Well I would say to all teachers, please tell people to try to be on time, and not dropping in after 20 minutes.

I hear ya on this! I practiced almost exclusively with the same instructor for the first 5 years. She really changed my life and inspired me to become a yoga teacher. I definitely cried after my last class with her before I moved away, and brought her a gift. We actually started to connect more on email after that, but I've always felt sad that I never told her sooner how much her class meant to me. I still miss her class.

yogafire and helenschki like this

Thank you

Thank you for teaching us that the only one that can judge me is me.

Thank you for insuring our mat will always be a safe place for us.

Thank you for teaching us that when we come to our mat there are never any demands or expectations placed upon us.

Thank you for teaching us the poses have no beginning or end. If we want to sit in Dandasana today that is fine. If we want to sit in Marichyasana G someday that is fine.

Thank you for teaching us to follow our own breath not yours or someone else.

Thank you for all the little things you said, we still remember.

Thank you for apologizing to us when you made a mistake.

Thank you for teaching us we deserve teachers that care about our practice as much as we do.

mimisouth, Hildegard and brenskip55 like this

that my favourite classes are the ones we get to play around like children. Playing with poses like head/handstands even though maybe one in a class of thirty can actually do them but she still lets us fumble around and have fun for a portion of the class.