YogaByCandace

What is the best yoga mat?

69 posts in this topic

I got myself the Manduka Eko mat a few weeks ago and so far I’m pretty pleased with it. :D

It’s heavy indeed and although I walk to the gym several times a week carrying it just rolled up without a bag or straps, I don’t mind the weight.

Also the rubber smell didn’t bother me and it’s nearly gone by now.

Due to the structured surface it has a nice grip but unfortunately it’s still a little slippery when my hands and feet sweat. I hope it will gradually get nonslip.

It’s sturdy but just soft enough and slightly stretchy to offer support to the knees, that’s why I preferred the original 5mm mat to the eko lite version and it’s a little bit wider, too.

I just wish I had the 79” (200cm) long mat but the 71” (180cm) mat was hard enough to find so it has to do the job. :unsure:

DanB84 and YogaByCandace like this

I'm not that expert about mats, but I bought a Manduka eko Lite 4mm a few weeks ago and I love it! Really a great grip, a perfect thickness for my knees, just a little bit heavy, but I often practice at home, so that's not a big deal. And another this mat has another great advantage: my cat doesn't seem to appreciate rubber smell, so it's finally safe from her claws! :lol:

I have an eKO Super Lite manduka mat. It isn´t havy (that´s the good side), but it´s very very thin and for me sometimes on a hard ground to thin. This is why I absolutly only use it for travel.

At home i have an no name mat. I consider to bye a eko Lite or pro Lite. Is there a huge difference between them?

I have an eKO Super Lite manduka mat. It isn´t havy (that´s the good side), but it´s very very thin and for me sometimes on a hard ground to thin. This is why I absolutly only use it for travel.

At home i have an no name mat. I consider to bye a eko Lite or pro Lite. Is there a huge difference between them?

I *think* the difference between to two is that the eko is made of rubber, and the pro isn't.... (not 100% sure). I have the eko lite but not the pro lite so I can't say for sure. However, I do love the eko! :)

Reggi likes this

I have a Calmia mat that's meant to be sticky and non slip... It's not... So I purchased a Calmia super grip yoga towel to lay over the top which is AMAZING!

I got an EKO mat and it is great !! I love grip and the cushiness of it, has just the perfect balance , attended the Bhakti fest and carried it all around the whole day and did not mind the weight at all

DanB84 likes this

I *think* the difference between to two is that the eko is made of rubber, and the pro isn't.... (not 100% sure). I have the eko lite but not the pro lite so I can't say for sure. However, I do love the eko! :)

Ok,I´ll will try in the near futur. Thanks :)

Reggi likes this

Right now I am using my Gaiam mat I bought for $10 two years ago and it was a nice beginner mat. I have been looking at the Manduka prolite and the Jade harmony mats, as I think it's time for an upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with either of these or other suggestions? Any help would greatly be appreciated as it's a big purchase!

I posted this on another part of the forum but I'm repeating. I have a 6 ft. round mandala mat that I leave out all the time in my "yoga room" and it's on carpet (don't like carpet) and that's usually what I practice on. I also have hard floor in other parts of my house and own a vernice vita memory foam mat which I use there and also take to practice away from home. I have fibromyalgia and it helps with the pressure I feel from hard surfaces. I really love this mat! I also have a jade mat that I've had since I started practicing and it's held up very well. 

Right now I just have a no name $15 sticky mat.  I really want to upgrade as I'm starting to see some wear and I feel like its a bit slick at times.  

In case anyone is interested, this website called the Wirecutter (they do tons of very thorough reviews of various things) did a mat review a couple months ago.  Their review is here  and they liked the lulu lemon one the best. I'm still on the fence if I'll do that or maybe a jade harmony or manduka.

Right now I am using my Gaiam mat I bought for $10 two years ago and it was a nice beginner mat. I have been looking at the Manduka prolite and the Jade harmony mats, as I think it's time for an upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with either of these or other suggestions? Any help would greatly be appreciated as it's a big purchase!

I got the Manduka prolite a few months ago and I love it! It was VERY slippery when I first got it though and took a fairly long time for that to go away but it's a great mat otherwise. 

I LOVE my black mat pro. I got a couple prolites from the clymb recently, one for me to take to classes and one for my mom, and the texture between the two is different. I got the purple prolite for me (since it was 30" wide and I'm not a huge pink person so I gifted the pink one to mom, ha) and it's almost TOO sticky. Lint and stuff from the floor is always stuck to the bottom of it and whenever I move on it, it almost sounds like velcro? And this is after washing a couple times. I washed the pink mat with it each time and the texture is like the black mat pro before I broke it in more. So weird. I find myself pressing into my feet and hands in ways that aren't comfortable on the purple one because when I push, instead of sliding my whole hand or foot, my skin stays there and my bones and all just move into it more, because it's sticky! I probably just have to get used to it more but after a year or so on the black mat pro, it's never been like that.
So long story short, I just take my black mat pro to class still because I'm used to the feel and am less likely to hurt myself on it right now. And it's not pink. But I have since inherited the pink one because turns out my mom also hates pink (but she has a pink ipod and camera?? ok then) and I got her a yogajack mat. It's sticky but not too sticky like my very odd purple mat, but you also sink down into it more than the black mat pro, which almost seems to defeat the cushioning aspects of a 6mm mat. 

I started off the same as you! Gaiam, which was good until I started making my downward dogs longer and my hands kept slipping.  I think in the beginning, my shoulders weren't open enough to have a longer stance, and I felt very insecure to go deeper.  But then I upgraded to the Jade Harmony mat (there was a 25% sale at Athleta I think, so that's when I took the plunge).  I felt much more planted because the mat is stickier and a rougher texture to provide friction.  

The downside is that it does pick up dust / skin cells though so I have to hose it off every few weeks if I want it to look "newer".    I have a dark purple color though, so maybe if you get the lighter colors it might fare better?

Does anyone like the Lulu mats?

I actually just bought Lulu's The Mat last night.  I have read some pretty good reviews on it.  Anyone else try it out?  I'll let you know how I like it after I've used it. 

I have a lulu mat from a year ago. It's nice and squishy and didn't have a slippery issue like many do. The downside was that it stretched out in poses like downward dog. Also a bit fragile for friction like when you are moving your feet on the mat, pivoting on the ball of the foot for standing poses.

I got it cheap and was glad bc it didn't seem to be ready for heavy rotation.

Right now I just have a no name $15 sticky mat.  I really want to upgrade as I'm starting to see some wear and I feel like its a bit slick at times.  

In case anyone is interested, this website called the Wirecutter (they do tons of very thorough reviews of various things) did a mat review a couple months ago.  Their review is here  and they liked the lulu lemon one the best. I'm still on the fence if I'll do that or maybe a jade harmony or manduka.

Such great site for the mat review! I'm not sold on lululemon just because of all the hype about the company and all but still great advice!

dianeteresa likes this

Currently looking for a new yoga mat and there are so many options  :wacko:  I'm leaning towards a Manduka mat - perhaps the pro lite, eko or eko lite. The eko lite sounds excellent, has great reviews everywhere and I could possibly pack this in a suitcase if I was going travelling. However, I think I would prefer a thicker mat for daily practice, even though it is heavier?? Oh decisions, decisions!!

Currently looking for a new yoga mat and there are so many options  :wacko:  I'm leaning towards a Manduka mat - perhaps the pro lite, eko or eko lite. The eko lite sounds excellent, has great reviews everywhere and I could possibly pack this in a suitcase if I was going travelling. However, I think I would prefer a thicker mat for daily practice, even though it is heavier?? Oh decisions, decisions!!

Currently juggling between the Manduka pro lite or the eko. Any opinions?

I just bought the Manduka Pro Black Magic. I haven't tried it yet.

Is there anything I need to do to 'season' it before I use it?