YogaByCandace

What is the best yoga mat?

69 posts in this topic

i definitely have to invest in a new mat...by invest i mean no more than $50 lol

i've been using this cheap mat i got from target for about 2 years now...it's slipping and beginning to wear

so im going to look on amazon for a new mat

Currently juggling between the Manduka pro lite or the eko. Any opinions?

Hi Christinakc

I had the same dilemma this time last year. I was between the Manduka Black Mat Pro - heavier but thicker - or the Pro Lite. I eventually went with the Pro Lite and have been so happy with it, definitely the right choice for me in terms of balance between weight and thickness as I wouldn't want anything heavier when taking it to classes. I also like how durable it is.

I got the Eko Super Lite a few months ago to use when I travel and whilst this would personally be too thin for me for everyday practice I find the surface to be much more grippy than the Pro Lite and I believe the surface is the same on the whole Eko range. I don't think the Eko range is as durable though.

Hope this helps you in your decision...if you haven't already made it!

christinakc likes this

I just bought the Manduka Pro Black Magic. I haven't tried it yet.

Is there anything I need to do to 'season' it before I use it?

Hi MaryKay

I found my Pro Lite a bit slippy at first but after a month or so of use this went. I have read that you can scrub it with sea salt to speed up the breaking in process but I was worried about spoiling it!

I currently use a lulu 'the mat' at home, and 'the unmat' in class. I love them, but I'm currently lusting over the yogasana woven mats, and the yoloha cork mats. I'm really curious to try practicing on a non rubber mat!

Meugenio likes this

I currently use a lulu 'the mat' at home, and 'the unmat' in class. I love them, but I'm currently lusting over the yogasana woven mats, and the yoloha cork mats. I'm really curious to try practicing on a non rubber mat!

If you ever get a chance to practice on a non-rubber mat, please let me know how it goes for you! I think I'm the problem and not the mats...I've just got unusually sweaty hands whomp whomp haha!

Hi! I'm planning to buy a Manduka eko Superlite for my short vacations, anyone has just tested this mat and its grip?

I have a Gaiam mat at home and it's fine, though I find when I'm doing a flow type yoga and I end up the slightest bit sweaty I find my down dogs slipping out a bit. I've got yogi towels, but especially considering it's quite warm where I live I'd prefer not to have a towel to wash every day.

I borrow a Manduka at the yoga studio and I find even though I'm sweaty, I'm not slipping as much. I'm thinking I might put one on my wishlist for my birthday. Obviously it being used day in, day out at a yoga studio it's well worn in, but my Gaiam surely by now is well and truly worn in but I'm just still finding it that bit too slippery. It's fine if I'm doing just a bit of yin or slow yoga or seated yoga.

Meugenio likes this

I have a million and one mats, but the best hands down is the jade harmony mat. It has fantastic grip and no slipping!

Ah I agree! I took the leap and splurged for one about a month ago and I've been in love ever since. I remember thinking when I first started practicing on it, "Oh this is what it's supposed to feel like to practice yoga without slipping?" Haha!

I've been 100% sure I wanted a Manduka Black Mat PRO for forever, now I keep finding all these super cool other options!! I've had a tab open to the Yoloha mat for like a week and I drool every time I see it. If I lived somewhere where paddleboard yoga was an option I would totally get one. Ah, someday.

I am obsessed with the lulu mat!

Before, I had the typical $15 yoga mat, which was obviously not great, then tried out the manduka when I decided to be "serious" ;) and it was slippery! I like a sweaty vinyasa class so that was super frustrating. My favorite yoga teacher recommended the lulu mat so after I returned the manduka, I tried it out and I'll never use another mat! Except I am considering buying the humongous one haha but I don't really have a good reason to except that I want it... haha

I still want to try the jade one though. But one of the other regular yogis in my nonheated vinyasa class always slips on his so that has kept me from buying one so far.

I have the Hugger Mugger Nature Collection Ultra and LOOOOVE it!! I haven't had any trouble with slipping although I don't do a lot of sweaty practices- but there have been some and so far so good! It's a little thicker at 1/4 inch which I tend to need with my bony knees :), but not so thick as to throw off any balance. I've had it for over a year, use it at least 4 times a week and it's still going strong.

YogaByCandace likes this

I'm excited to say I bought the Jade Harmony Mat today!! I'll have it on Wednesday!! Freaking out a bit. >.<

Let me know what you think! It's slowly taken over the number one spot (which was previously held by the black mat pro)

Meugenio likes this

Let me know what you think! It's slowly taken over the number one spot (which was previously held by the black mat pro)

I've had the Jade Harmony Mat for a few days now and I'm obsessed!! It really helps propel your yoga practice when you have a great mat. It was a bit of a splurge for me but 100,000% worth it. It's the best grip I've felt on a mat, even when sweaty. It has a natural rubber smell but it isn't overwhelming. I'm cleaning it with a homemade mixture that contains essential oils so I'm sure in time the rubber scent will lessen. I'd advise any starting yogi to take that leap right out of the gate and get the best mat in your price range. I can see it making the difference between yoga being something like a laid back, occasional type thing and a serious long-committed practice. <3 

Thank you, Candace for this forum. It really helped my decision on my new mat by having everyone's opinions on different mats. :)

I have a million and one mats, but the best hands down is the jade harmony mat. It has fantastic grip and no slipping!

Was that a deliberate pun Candace?  :D

I hope you're getting commission, because I just ordered one too. No more downward slipping dog for me!

nfenchak, Meugenio and mrsjoe24 like this

Awesome, I love that one too.  In case you didn't already read it from other reviews, you can machine wash it (Front loading) with mild soap, but, do NOT let it dry out in the sun.  Someone reported that the sun ruins the stickiness, and my mat has never been as sticky as before after I laid it out in the sun.

YogaByCandace likes this