YogaByCandace

What is the best yoga mat?

69 posts in this topic

I bought a "Jade Professional" last week for my birthday and it's still in its packaging  :(  I had a very busy week and haven't been able to attend a class. Will be trying it out tomorrow - super excited!

YogaByCandace and fshliz09 like this

I love my Jade Harmony Mat! The only thing is I wish I had got one of the bright colors because whenever my dog walks on it her hair is everywhere and I feel like you'd be able to see it less on a brighter mat...but that's honestly the only complaint I have :)

I bought a "Jade Professional" last week for my birthday and it's still in its packaging  :(  I had a very busy week and haven't been able to attend a class. Will be trying it out tomorrow - super excited!

Oh! Happy belated birthday :) I'd love to know what you think of the professional! Is it thicker than the Harmony ? I was worried that my harmony mat wouldn't provide enough cushioning on my knees but I've been quite comfortable with it! 

Jasmine likes this

I've tried a Lululemon's "The mat" this weekend on a Anusara Yoga class and loved it. The class was very intense and it was wonderful never slipped and inch!

So, I've just ordered the "Reversible Mat" because it looked very the same as "The mat" but with the reversible extra.

I'm waiting for it to arrive  ;)

My Lululemon's "Reversible mat" arrived on Friday and I've tried it out this weekend. I'm very pleased it is very sticky and comfortable. The downside is the intense rubber smell, but no surprises on that, everybody even Lululemon say it stinks in the beginning. Hope it fades away.

Jake likes this

Has anyone tried Onnit's Multi Mat

I am thinking about ordering one. 

Well, I ordered it and it came in yesterday :D 

I am liking it so far, but It is a little slippery on top compared to other mats. The bottom is pretty much slip-proof, though. I will do a better review in a week or so after I get some more time in on it. 

I am wondering – would a more slippery mat be considered like 'advanced' or 'expert' level? It really forces you to use more muscles to stay still and be planted, as opposed to the 'easier' sticky mats. What are your thoughts? 

Just taken delivery of my Jade yoga mat.. It's so sticky!  Smells a bit funky but hoping that will fade!

I've got 2 mats. A yogamatters one and the h&m with Alexander Wang one. Both are ok, I have horribly slippery hands though. I'm gonna wait til they both die before getting rid

Hi!

So I'm quite new to yoga, and currently own a really thick mat (1.2cm), more suitable for pilates probably. So I'm struggling to find balance when I use it (+ it's really big and heavy), and I've decided to purchase a new mat. A thin one. However I'm very confused as to what kind of mat I should go for, and how thin is 'too thin'.

Ideally I'd like something that is easy to bring with me as I'll have to carry it around all day (first to uni, between classes, then to yoga and whatever other thing I'm doing. I walk a lot.), so I'd like it to be light and preferably not too thick. And so I've considered getting a travel mat, but some are as thin as 1mm, and I'm not sure if that is too thin or not. I don't really know anyone else who does yoga, so I can't try theirs either. I have my thick mat at home, so I can use that for poses that might be harsh on the knees and such, and when I'm in class, I could put the travel mat on top of the mats there.

Not really sure why 1-2mm mats scare me so much :huh: If you have a travel mat, I'd love to hear how you feel about using it on top of another mat and by itself. Is it unusable if I don't have a mat under it? 

Obviously I don't want a mat that I slip on a lot either, and.. there is just so much to think about!
I'm just so unsure and confused and would love some help.. Any recommendations? :)

17 minutes ago, CorpseCrazy said:

I'm very confused as to what kind of mat I should go for, and how thin is 'too thin'.

Greetings and welcome to the forums. As this is a very popular topic, I merged your post into a very long thread on the topic. Please review this thread and see if your concern has been addressed. Other members will see this as a new post when they return and will most likely chime in if they have input

Please also see this thread on travel mats 

I pinned this thread to the top of this forum for quick and easy access as this is a topic most members have concerned or asked about.

8 minutes ago, CorpseCrazy said:

Thank you! I'm sorry if I caused any trouble ...

It's no trouble at all! Welcome! Just want to keep things tidy

The Manduka mats seem to be very popular! My least favourite has to be one I bought from K-Mart in my early days. I kindly donated that to my son :)))
 haha

My favourite one is my Asana mat, but I have been lately checking out the vagabond ones (a bit drool worthy I must say!)

http://vagabond-goods.com/

I'm in the market for a new mat and wanted to get some suggestions. It would be extremely helpful if I knew the pros and cons of each of the choices as well.

Thank you all so much :) 

Edited by LarryD517
Post merged from a separate thread

3 or 4 months ago I invested in a new yoga mat. I used to have a Manduka rubber mat for years, which I liked a lot. I checked out a bunch of different options and ended up going with a PAYoga Forward rubbet mat (I think there are two options). The mat is awesome and the company supports non-profits which is another plus. I would recommend this mat if you are in the market for a new one.

I currently have a purple Gaiam one. I do have to say I don't like it when my feet slip in downward dog! That really sucks! I think if I keep up, I'll get an upgrade.

Does anyone know of a good non-latex (aka non-natural rubber like the Jade) yoga mat? I'm allergic to natural rubber (aka latex!)

Yes, I'll probably have to crochet myself some yoga socks, @LarryD517. Or buy some.

People have yoga towels? O.o I just use one of my one towels at home (but then, I do yoga at home so a yoga towel is not really necessary!)