Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dbrown

Guided Meditation Recs?

9 posts in this topic

I've used head space and the yoga emporium's meditate 4 ever. They are great, but I'm always on the hunt for more as I build up my meditation practice and get ready to fly solo.

starslight and nish like this

Thanks for the recs above!

Do they talk the entire time, giving you visualizations to relax, or just talk for a few minutes in the beginning and then let you sit in silence?

I first tried doing meditation on a regular basis with a 21-day challenge from Oprah & Deepak.  The style is the latter. I found Deepak's voice soothing, and the short 5 min lecture upfront got me into the mood.

There is another one starting on November 3rd, free, but it requires you to register.

I wrote down each mantra and day's theme in my previous challenge so I could repeat them in my head for later meditations. That... did not happen. The timings of actual meditation were relatively short, about 10 min.  I haven't done it in awhile, so maybe I'll do it again before doing it solo and extending the time.

Headspace tends to let you sit in silence for a bit, breaking it up with some guidance and bringing you back to your breathe. They are training wheels for getting you prepped to go solo.

Meditation 4ever is more talking the whole time, but they are short and generally focused on a specific intention.

I'll try out the Deepak ones!

And mantra is good, but I can only go about 5 minutes with mantra only right now. Still need to build up my meditation endurance. :)

starslight and laceyd like this

I really like The Guided Meditation Site.com. They have a good variety. If you want a mantra meditation I really like Deva Premal. I also have an iPhone app called "Simply Being" that is really good.

Dbrown and laceyd like this

The Simply Being meditation app mentioned by Kelly is quite good: it's done by the Meditation Oasis people and I've used their guided meditation podcasts for years.  Their style really works for me and I have just about the entire archive downloaded to my phone.

I also rate Insight Timer, because it incorporates both a plain timer for when you want to meditate in silence and also a library of streamable guided meditations, so you can do whatever strikes your fancy at a particular time.

Other apps I like are Breathe and Buddhify, but honestly a lot of the time I just need a timer and some alone time ;)

Dbrown, Kelly and laceyd like this

The Simply Being meditation app mentioned by Kelly is quite good: it's done by the Meditation Oasis people and I've used their guided meditation podcasts for years.  Their style really works for me and I have just about the entire archive downloaded to my phone.

I also rate Insight Timer, because it incorporates both a plain timer for when you want to meditate in silence and also a library of streamable guided meditations, so you can do whatever strikes your fancy at a particular time.

Other apps I like are Breathe and Buddhify, but honestly a lot of the time I just need a timer and some alone time ;)

I also have Insight Timer. I like it too, I just use Simply Being more. I will have to check out Breathe and Buddhify. Thanks Candace.

candace likes this

Meditate 4ever is terrific. Thanks for mentioning it here. Getting some instruction while meditating is working better for me than reading about meditating and trying to keep what I read in mind while meditating--because you're not supposed to have anything in your mind, right? I think I just gave myself a headache. 

Anyway, thanks again.