Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MichaelaB

Are there poses to avoid if you have scoliosis?

4 posts in this topic

Hi! I have been doing yoga with Candace for over a year now. Love it! I have a mild form of scoliosis in the lower back but I would love to be able to do different back bending poses but I worry it will hurt me. Are there poses I should avoid having scoliosis? 

I have scoliosis, like you it's quite mild and doesn't often affect my day-to-day life. I find backbends are fine after warming up, even wheel pose. But always listen to your body and if something feels like it's too much or too awkward stop. I'll stop in the middle of a class if I need to, teachers never worry about this if a student isn't comfortable.

Yoga provides many highly effective tool in the fight with scoliosis. 

Some items themselves evoke physiological scoliosis during their implementation. What does it mean? Well, this is simply a "natural" result of practicing the exercise at the moment. For example, the position of the triangle (utthita trikonasana) causes scoliosis dwułukową (lumbar and thoracic), but always in practice, this is offset by doing exercises on the other side, so that the spine remains symmetrical. Suppose that the patient have carried out this exercise only one side for a period, eg. 6 months. This is what we will get in its wake a scoliosis. This right can be successfully used in the treatment of scoliosis. This is not the only possibility. With the help come to us asymmetrical rotational exercises, or "twists" as commonly refer to them practitioner, asanas elongation, traction, ventral, or items that directly extend iliopsoas such as warrior I (virabhadrasana), or anjaneyasana.

In summary, the system of yoga we have available all the necessary measures for the correction of scoliosis. The therapeutic effect should be determined according to the following pattern: first, lengthening muscles and spine in order to relieve pressure and elongation, then the adequacy of abduction twisted vertebrae and at the end of the alignment of posture. Stabilization and strengthening of the end is crucial. In addition, both the breathing exercises in yoga positions themselves, and perform pranayama brings deliverance lungs. Often, as a result of long-term scoliosis one lung is reduced and contracted. Yoga helps to gradually open up the lung and improve ventilation.

As you can see Joga will not hurt you if you will do it smart ! :)

I wish you perseverance ! :)