Sztratya

Sin or not

6 posts in this topic

Hello everybody! I have a the question that if practicin yoga it is considered a sin, or what o you think about the conection between religion and yoga? Thanks for understanding.

Yoga, or for that matter, any pursuit not affecting nor harming others, would only be considered a sin if the individual practitioner deems it so themselves.

No one can answer for another person's feelings except the one harboring them. 

YogaByCandace likes this

I don't think it's a sin in any way, yoga is a way to speak to and seal your conversation with God. If not then its a way to connect with yourself at the betterment of yourself so how can that be a sin?!

You don't have to chant in Sanskrit or anything if you don't want to. Classes or your own practice doesn't have to mean something holy or in this case a sin, it can be a way of finding what feels good in YOUR body

On 6/3/2016 at 2:29 PM, Sztratya said:

Hello everybody! I have a the question that if practicin yoga it is considered a sin, or what o you think about the conection between religion and yoga? Thanks for understanding.

No, it's not sin. Yoga is just exercise. It's not religious unless you make it religious.

ZillaRac and YogaByCandace like this

That's an interesting question. It depends on your beliefs. The better question is, "Should Christians practice yoga?" And that question is deeply personal and that is a conversation you should have with yourself. As a Catholic, I've had the conversation and basically said, "It's more a conversation with God." I don't use Hatha beads when I meditate if I meditate out of the shower; I use a rosary instead. 

However, if you are curious and wish to have more to think upon, here are two articles answering "Should Christians practice yoga?":

The Catholic Answers Magazine says "Up to a point": http://www.catholic.com/magazine/articles/the-trouble-with-yoga

CARM (Christians Apologetics & Research Ministry) says "No": https://carm.org/should-christians-practice-yoga

Hildegard likes this

I guess it depends on your religious views and what you are doing with yoga. I don't use it as a spiritual practice, but for me if I did use it as a form of worship it would be a sin.