ZillaRac

Embarrassing!

5 posts in this topic

So today, I got stuck in headstand. It was my first time in the pose really and I think I was a little bit over excited to try it. Anyway I came up but my neck caved in and I got stuck, to make things worse, I panicked and farted on my teacher as she tried to help me out. (She totally ignored that but I was MORTIFIED) Any tips?! Lol

scottcraft likes this

22 hours ago, ZillaRac said:

Anyway I came up but my neck caved in and I got stuck,

Ha! I can relate about panicking and farting - your teacher understands, so don't worry about that.

But this part concerned me! I hope your neck is OK.  This reminded me a good exercise that I did in class recently - we did pushups in dolphin (not the same as dolphin pushups, which is what the default exercise is when I search for it).  So we clasp our arms in dolphin, then lower the head forward and cradle into the hands like supported headstand while staying with our legs mostly in downward dog form, and then push down on the forearms to raise back into dolphin.  That way if you feel your neck cave in and feel stuck, you can back up with your forearms to get out of the cradle and free your neck.

Yeah she said im defo strong enough but I needed to push more into my shoulders and forearms, which I didn't do. She also suggested that I pracrice dolphin a little more so that I can get the motion. 

My neck is ok, I defo did the work on the muscles around my neck though, they're 'stressed' but it feels like I've lifted weights rather then injured myself, thank you for asking. Hopefully I haven't jarred myself too bad. 

YogaByCandace likes this

Aw! No worries - honestly, it was not the first time and won't be the last time your teacher heard a fart in class! Just so glad to hear your neck is ok!! Definitely work on pushing into your forearms and engaging the shoulders. The majority of your weight should be in your upper body. Keep practicing and building upper body strength and you'll see progress for sure.