KateZena

Favorite Meditation Spot

4 posts in this topic

Here's a weird one: where's your favorite place to meditate? Or, is there only one particular place you can meditate?

So far, I've only found I can meditate in the shower. I've yet to figure out why the shower. I will sit on the floor and just meditate for a good five or ten minutes.

How about you? Any favorite place?

25 minutes ago, KateZena said:

I will sit on the floor and just meditate for a good five or ten minutes.

Being a father that used to yell at his daughters for taking long showers, this ruffles my feathers... :)

I can understand the shower - there's white noise from the water and the warm water relaxes your muscles!  Would sitting by a fountain might give you similar white noise? 

If you didn't want to waste water, you could meditate while sitting on the floor while filling up the bathtub, and when the bathtub is done filling, you're done meditating and then have a bath instead of a shower.  The gallon usage between a bath and a 10 min shower seem to be comparable (of course dependent on tub size and flow rate of the shower head). 

I haven't found a fav spot yet, but, I have found meditating while sitting cross legged on my bed or couch is more relaxing to me than sitting on the my mat on the floor.

14 hours ago, LarryD517 said:

Being a father that used to yell at his daughters for taking long showers, this ruffles my feathers... :)

You know, when my family used to be active military, we used to take super short showers (as in 5 minute showers.) You would have thought, "Hey, we don't have to pay for water, let's take long showers!" Uh, no. Hot water supply on base housing is nil. It's when we became civilians and realized we could take 10, 20 minute showers and not run out of hot water (if two of us did morning and 2 of us did showers at night) that we took longer showers. Because I have lupus, if I have a really bad muscle day, I declare, "I'm taking a long shower" and they know all of the hot water (or close to it) is being used just to try to calm my inflammation as I have huge anxiety with baths. We don't take showers for granted!

5 hours ago, yogafire said:

I can understand the shower - there's white noise from the water and the warm water relaxes your muscles!  Would sitting by a fountain might give you similar white noise? 

If you didn't want to waste water, you could meditate while sitting on the floor while filling up the bathtub, and when the bathtub is done filling, you're done meditating and then have a bath instead of a shower.  The gallon usage between a bath and a 10 min shower seem to be comparable (of course dependent on tub size and flow rate of the shower head). 

I haven't found a fav spot yet, but, I have found meditating while sitting cross legged on my bed or couch is more relaxing to me than sitting on the my mat on the floor.

You know, I have tried fountains and it doesn't work! I actually find I don't take as long of a shower if I meditate (kind of odd actually.) We all take long showers here because we all have joint issues (mom and dad have arthritis, I have lupus with Reynaud's.) I take the longest showers just because I need the extra few minutes to warm up as I'm always cold since my parents make my house an ice box (most people find my house hot. I find it cold. It's set at 74.) I meditate while warming up so I don't waste water that way. Then it's wash hair, condition hair, wash face, wash body (rinse conditioner out at same time) and I'm done. It's like 20 minutes if I don't have a migraine. I take an extra 5 (hard to gauge time when you're in there) or so to try to work my migraine out if I have one.

Oh, have you tried a plush rocking chair? I have these old rocking chairs I inherited from my grams and gramps from the 1970s and I can almost get there. I've always liked to rock so rocking chairs really help, especially my grams' blue corduroy one. The plain wood one I have in my living room makes me crabby, but the fabric ones make this sound that's relaxing for some bizarre reason.