happyvibes

gratitude

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone i am a new yogi here.. Practicing for couple months now and love yoga so much. It completely made my life so much better and i want to express gratitude to one of my teachers who has been on this journey since the beginning. They have seen the changes i have made and been there every step of the way encouraging and guiding me in this yoga journey, sharing their light in the class. i do say thank you after each class but i want write in words with out it being cliche or weird. I am not sure yoga teachers know how much their students truly appreciate them. they are beautiful people!!! :):)

21 hours ago, happyvibes said:

They have seen the changes i have made and been there every step of the way encouraging and guiding me in this yoga journey, sharing their light in the class. i do say thank you after each class but i want write in words with out it being cliche or weird. I am not sure yoga teachers know how much their students truly appreciate them. they are beautiful people!!! :):)

I know what you mean! Wanting to write my full expression of gratitude and sharing with the teacher, but, not wanting to come off.. too attached or weird like you said.  

Currently in addition to saying thank you, I specifically share what part of class or their teaching I liked in person, or let them know how they changed my perspective or how they inspired me.  For me, being more specific than just a general thank you is more interesting to get to know a person because different things resonate with different people! I think the teachers appreciate the enthusiasm and can already tell how much you get out of it when you keep coming back.  I think it'd be completely welcomed and normal if you told your teacher after class (one-on-one) that she's been with you since the beginning, so you want her to know how grateful you are for her being part of that journey.

Sometimes I do get the urge to more fully explain how much my teacher has helped me grow. That's harder to say in person for me without stumbling over my words. I've thought about just giving a card writing it all out during the holidays last year. However, I missed some classes at the end of December, so I ended up chickening out.  Maybe this year? Otherwise, I've written longer thank you notes only when the teacher left the studio due to life changes, but, it seems silly to wait to express gratitude only when someone is leaving. Anyway, don't be shy to talk to your teacher more after class!  I usually say a sentence or two after each class that really impacted me to the teacher, so, it's not a long speech or anything - and some days it instigates more conversation or questions, and other days, it's just simply accepting the thank you and seeing each other later.

I was always super intimidated to say anything to my teachers because I just felt like it would be weird, but having been a teacher myself and having had people come up and say thank you (or even more than a thank you), I know how much it really means. I have had people stumble over their words, cry tears of thanks, and simply say thank you and never once have I been weirded out. We ALL struggle with our own insecurities and as a teacher, especially a new teacher, there is so much we worry about (even though we know we shouldn't). Do the people like this sequencing? The music? The tone of my voice? Am I speaking loudly enough? Am I talking too much? Are they weirded out by my silence? It's really very easy to get sucked into your own insecurity and irrational thoughts, so when people offer feedback, I always appreciate it. Except for the time that one girl said my yoga wasn't "real yoga" and stormed off. I could've done without that. Hahahahaa.

Edited to say: I have also received cards, emails, comments on social media, etc. I will say that cards are my favorite because it's physically in your hand and you have to sit and really take a moment to absorb what's been written. It really blows me away when I get a card because with our busy lives I know it takes a lot for people to sit down, find a pen, and think out what they want to say. I keep them and always look back on them when I've had a tough day on the work front. So if there's a option, a little handwritten card would be my vote. :) 

56 minutes ago, YogaByCandace said:

Edited to say: I have also received cards, emails, comments on social media, etc. I will say that cards are my favorite because it's physically in your hand and you have to sit and really take a moment to absorb what's been written. It really blows me away when I get a card because with our busy lives I know it takes a lot for people to sit down, find a pen, and think out what they want to say. I keep them and always look back on them when I've had a tough day on the work front. So if there's a option, a little handwritten card would be my vote. :) 

That's so great to hear. A card feels more appropriate for me instead of trying to just give a gift, but, I've only written cards as departure notes before. Hearing from the teacher's perspective on the receiving end helps me get over the hesitations I've had before!

happyvibes and YogaByCandace like this

Thats so cool, very often the most valuable gift you can give is appreciation, and people are often reluctant to express it. Well done you a card sounds great, and with be great for the teacher to keep them motivated and know they are doing good. 

Without feedback it can be difficult for a teacher to know if they are achieving what they are trying to do......and people can be shy about simply saying thanks, and good job!!!

Hope it went well

Sorry for the late response but it went great!!  A bit teary eyed i went and talked to her and said i just wanted to tell you how thankful i am for you and handed her the card.  She had big smile on her face and actually read the card  then and there and told me how much it meant to her. ????

yogafire and YogaByCandace like this

Thinking about how much yoga has helped me as well as others makes me realize how much I want to be a teacher to share this with everyone!

yogafire likes this