Phamine

Outer wrist injury from Mayurasana

14 posts in this topic

I've been practicing this arm balance for a couple of months. Still not getting the full expression of the pose and it's not going to help now that I injured BOTH left and right outer wrists.

I think I strained them so the recovery has been slow. I found Candace's Yoga hands diagram through google.

My question is should the pressure points be the same since the hands are now facing towards the rear of my body? A followup would be - should the pressure still be towards the fingers and knuckles in Mayurasana? I'm sure I've been placing weight on the bottom palms as I shift my weight forward to get lift

wrist-pain-in-yoga.jpg

I'm entering through butterfly at the moment.

No. Still recovering so I've been laying off them.

Wow, thanks for the video, that makes this really easy.  It's really good that you are giving your wrists a rest until they get better. If you keep stressing them they are only going to get worse and worse. A sore muscle is easy and quick to deal with. Pain in the joints have to be really careful. This pose puts a great deal of stress on the wrists and also requires a large amount of dorsiflexion (cocking the wrist-hand backward) And there are good ways to deal with that problem and also find more strength and ease in the wrists at the same time. Now I hope you don't think I am being a 'B' for this but I don't feel comfortable helping when you have an injury of this type. So if you can wait until your wrists are back to normal I would be happy to help, I will still be here it doesn't matter how long it takes.

What are you doing in terms of recovery? If they are still sore, try contrast baths. Contrast baths are particularly effective for the wrist area as it's a smaller area so you don't need particularly large buckets. I'm not a particular fan of the contrast bath method as I have Lupus and the constant temperature change can bring on a flare. However, ice immersion (aka just the ice bath) or putting your wrists on ice (ice packs) are shown to work more effectively and using perhaps something like a wrap around your wrists for stabilization.

My wrists bother me a lot - lupus loves to attack my wrists - so here is a list of my very favorite products and methods that are tested to help you feel better:

1. TigerBalm Ultra Strength. Particularly useful if you typed more than you wanted to. Simply take a small amount and massage really, really well into where you feel pain (I swear by this stuff.)

2. Ice Horse Ice Packs. Yes, these packs were made for horses and equestrians. They are the best darn ice packs I have ever found. You want an ice pack that will stay cold for three hours and is incredibly malleable? This is your ice pack. Buy two or three or four. (These came with my shoulder wrap. I seriously need ten more. I love them.) Mine are the 6"x10" They are awesome. http://www.icehorse.net/products/ice-horse-replacement-packs

3. Ace 3" wraps. Good for stability but you don't require a brace/splint. The 3" are longer than the 4". Bonus: if you are really lazy (or opportunistic like I am), they hold your ice packs in place.

4. Ice Immersion and/or Contrast Immersion Therapy https://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/contrast-bath-therapy-for-runners/

5.  Self-massage. Yep, a real massage feels great, but even going out, getting your favorite essential oil (peppermint is mine!) and massaging your own wrists properly will go a long way. Rich Poley on YouTube has a great one! In fact, I just did that one. Ahhh, happy wrists.

Injuries with ligaments and tendons do take a long time to heal =[

Recovery:

1. I still lift weights as my wrist don't bother me doing so. I'm using wrist wraps and lifting straps as they take grip strength out of the lifts. Less stress on my wrists that way.

2. I do ice after and I've been taking an aspirin to keep the inflammation down. 

3. I do massage my wrist. There's a tender feeling on the bone on the injured hands. 

I'm going to try to use a topical analgesic as well. Contrast immersion looks interesting - going to look into that as well.

I understand your hesitance on advice which is fine. When my wrists on 100% again, I'll bump this post. I really want to know where the weight being down on the hands in Mayurasana before continuing to try to progress in that pose.

If you have tendinitis, you may want to take some time off the weights and work on stretching and rehabbing your wrists which is something I do whenever I feel pain. I can tell you from experience a steroid shot is not the most pleasant option. Once was enough for me to learn to hold my reins correctly! I forget occasionally, but I now use my tattoos to fix myself hilariously. 

4 minutes ago, KateZena said:

How are your wrists feeling @Phamine?

They are fine. I haven't attempted Mayurasana with the fingers pointed towards the toes as of yet however.

I'm kind of hesitant as that how I injured them in the first place. 

Is there a modification I could use in terms of hand placement?

I am not that advanced; I struggle with my planks. Don't even get me started about side planks. We'll just say you don't want to be on either side of me; I'm a klutz. Yes, I ride horses; it doesn't mean I have perfect balance on two legs. I'm the klutziest equestrian on two legs!

I found this one on Google, but you should google some more: http://subtleyoga.com/detoxifying-with-mayurasana/

Honestly, Youtube is also a great source for modifications for yoga poses too. Various variations may be easier than others while you build up. I find certain variations of the Pigeon to be extremely easy and comfortable, others are just uncomfortable and then there are some that are downright unbearable because I don't have the strength and/or flexibility. It could be you don't have the strength in your wrists yet for your wrists to fully support you, so your wrists collapsed so you need a modification or a variation that doesn't put all of the primary support on your wrists. Perhaps keeping your head down or maybe using a big yoga ball while you get your wrists to strengthen or gain more flexibility. It depends what it is. I am quite the master of finding my own mods to fit me because I'm tight where it really counts (legs, sigh), weak where it counts (wrists and my shoulders) or out of proportion sometimes. Mods, I do them. LOL. Legs on walls, arms on walls, using balls/books/chairs/desks...I do them all.

Good, all better. Start by reading this, as many times as it takes to understand thoroughly. Sore Wrists During Push ups? Let’s Fix That. This does require strength and flexibility as well. Don't worry that this isn't for Mayurasana we will put it all together later.

I have to find some other things for Mayurasana specifically. It will take me a few minutes to find them so when I have time in a day or two I will add to this. 

I am not sure this first video is good for learning but watch the hands rotate (actually the knuckles rotate) at 1m39s. Just like my Fix Sore Wrists link from above. I am not sure if he is doing this consciously or it is natural for him because of his skill level. Regardless, it is a good demonstration of the hands. If you can get something from this first video for leaning that is great.

This second video is the one that will probably get the most people into the pose. Her last demonstration is the best. Watch how she has the knees and legs together and squeezing together. The strength of all postures comes from the legs, even when the legs aren't on the ground. That is why the teaching with the hands between the knees doesn't work so well. More ease in the rest of the body - lest strain on the wrists as well. Always have the legs gently squeezing together even if the knees are still on the ground.

And let us know how you do!