Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Svetllana

Oh my poor poor back :(

2 posts in this topic

Hello guys! My name is Svetlana and I really need your help or advise.
The fact is that I have been practising yoga quite a while and  I still  can not straighten my back during the downward facing dog and other poses.My yoga teacher periodically points on my rounded  back , but I can not keep it straight . It slightly starts  rounded from the waist . I have no diseases and back problems. Will I be able to straighten it over time? Tips to straighten it ? I get so frustrated seeing her rounded at streching exercises and poses. 

How does your back look like when you bend your knees in downward dog?  

I learned a nice lengthening technique for downward dog recently.  When you do cat and cow pose, notice how cat pose rounds out your back by tucking in the tailbone (lengthening it) and cow pose creates a dip in the lower back when you push out your pubic bone (in front).  

Right now it sounds like you are rounding out too much like cat pose, so you need to push out (upward) your pubic bone (front of your pelvis) while in downward dog to straighten out your back to neutral.  To do this, first bend your knees and create the curve (dip) in your lower back (like you do in cow pose), and then, slowly straighten your legs again by lengthening your tailbone upward to the sky (same movement as in cat pose).  If you can't straighten your legs without rounding / arching out your back (like in cat pose), then keep the knees bent.

This is a video that shows downward dog with bent knees to start out with a dip in the back and eventually straighten, depending on your flexibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkeIQ_0-kAk