msinkblot

Ways of getting back into practice after a 'drought'?

7 posts in this topic

Do any of you have periods in which you just stop practicing after a life change? Recently I came back from Singapore and I experienced such a physical /emotional / spiritual overhaul there that it came upon me like a tide change. Upon returning to Montreal, I haven't actually done my daily practice. Partly because I realize I was  unconsciously using it as a way to 'exercise', and not to really be calm (although it did make me calm). I've been interested in perhaps pursuing a softer, yin practice and I've been exploring pranayama. But I find it's kind of hard to explore that side of yoga... which is what I"m interested in. I have zero motivation to do arm balances (although I still do inversions for fun) or a vigorous 'strong' practice. Ironically I have lost weight... maybe that's part of the reason why I'm not keen to pursue a strong practice.

Do you guys have any experience experiencing such a period of 'drought' from physical asana? I really want to go back into yoga, but I don't know quite how to start. I want to enter it from the other limbs... if you guys have suggestions, I'd been so grateful! :)

A lot of us struggle returning to our practice. For me it was hard because I shamed myself, but, realizing that everyone has the same struggles too helped inspire me.

Have you tried restorative with lots of props? I took a class in a studio - only 3 poses, each held for 30 min (probably a more extreme version of restorative than other places).  I was really overwhelmed and fell asleep in some, but, it helped me let go. This was the way I slowly got back into yoga after 3 months of being inactive with an injury and disliking how inactive I felt but not knowing what to do.

You could have also lost weight from losing muscle mass from your inversion practice... so don't see it necessarily as indicators you are not taking care of yourself, but, just something that happens from the change in activity.

I think you're still dealing with hypermobility, right? Just be careful to remain engaged in the muscles around your joints and not let completely loose if you do yin - the idea is to stay in a pose for 3-5 min to work out the ligaments that surround your joints.  That part scares me since my joints are already loose, and I'm looking for more stability.

Welcome back from Singapore!

More commonly I've dealt with a kind of "spiritual" drought. Sometimes I get too focused on yoga being my workout and I forget the whole reason I do it in the first place. To fix that I kind of engage in a different style. I watch a different teacher, meditate more, or do more restorative based yoga. This might help you get back into it as well, I'm not sure.

Maybe also take a look at social media if you find that to be an inspiration to you. You can look at instagram and youtube videos if that usually inspires you to keep practicing! I find that that often works for me!

YogaByCandace likes this

Sometimes a break is needed. I've definitely stepped away from the mat for weeks at a time and focused on mindfulness aspects of other things - taking a walk, just sitting in silence, etc. When enough time has passed, my body will start craving it again and then I know it's time to get back to it. 

When I want to practice but am just feeling uninspired I will go to a local studio and try a new teacher I've never been to before. I hope that's helpful!

I've never had a super long break, but sometimes I need a day or two off. Whether it's a migraine or I just have too much pain that day, you have to go by you. When I return to it, my brain says, "YOU MISSED A DAY! WHY DID YOU MISS A DAY! Look at all the feels in yo body!" and it can be really frustrating or even anxiety-producing. I simply cannot do hip openers or something like a vinyasa on skipped days; I get too frustrated. I work on something that releases frustration like yoga focusing in on the core/abs. I'm weak there so I get so tired I can't think. I kind of "ease" back in that way by focusing in on something that makes me too tired too think. Then I can do full body yoga again or just focus on my hips if it's a Wednesday.

I know how you feel, I get distracted from yoga an awful lot (and sometimes I simply procrastinate haha) even though I know I'll feel much better doing yoga.

I don't think it's that big of a problem, to be honest, I still feel comfortable being lazy so as long as your pause doesn't affect your life in a negative way then I guess it's harmless!

I used to practise with @charly4491 all the time, mostly last year though. This year not so much. It's much harder for me to motivate myself than to train with a friend. Stuff like that just happens.

About starting again, maybe you'll find some niche groups of people on social media in your vicinity who practise yoga without obligatory classes. And if you really feel like starting up again really quickly then I'd guess you should just go for it haha!

Good luck!

Ayaksma likes this