Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
New2Yoga

New to Yoga

3 posts in this topic

Hello yoga community,

I am a high school teacher who has just been asked (2 weeks before school starts) to teach a semester long yoga class. My only qualifications are that I am a PE teacher and I coach several sports. My experience with yoga is very limited (I have attended a handful of classes with my wife over the last 5 years). I have spent the last few hours searching the internet looking for guides. outlines, and resources to facilitate teaching. As I have done this, I have learned the the practice and scope of yoga is much larger than I had thought. Clearly, with virtually no experience myself, leading yoga is not an option. I plan to use quality videos, since the internet is filled with them (if i can even determine what is quality and what is not). I am here hoping that this active community can point me in a direction, offer some guidance, or tell me I am in too deep haha. Working with a teenage population will be different than working with adults and I plan to treat the yoga class more like  wellness class. My wife is a psychologist and has really helped me to understand several different types of coping tools to manage stress with my athletes (PMR, Visualization, diaphgamatic breathing) and I plan to teach these. From what I have found, teaching the breath is most important? what types of yoga would be best to teach beginners? how would you structure a class like this? we meet every other day so 2-3 times a week. Any advice would be great. 

Thanks in advance.

Tim

1 hour ago, New2Yoga said:

Clearly, with virtually no experience myself, leading yoga is not an option.

You seem like a good person with ethics and morals, sometimes rare these days. The videos are no good either. How do you know if the video is good or bad. And who will make sure the kids are following the video properly?

Go to some of your local established yoga places and ask if they have a qualified teacher that will come to the school and do this. They often do these types of things. Make sure the teacher is qualified since anyone can call themselves a yoga teacher.

*gasps* They just told you this two weeks before school?! Yoga is such a great idea for high school students as I remember how much stress I had as a high school student, but only two weeks to get a curriculum for yoga plus being not qualified for it?! Oie vey.

Will you have the budget to bring a qualified yoga instructor in? If so, I would interview yoga instructors that would be available to come in and teach yoga; otherwise, you may be in over your head. You may have to say, "Sorry, I can't do teach yoga. I don't feel confident teaching it. I'm not qualified to teach this and I don't want to injure students by having them do a position improperly."