Jordan

Low back/spine pain in Wheel

6 posts in this topic

Hello! I was wondering if anyone is familiar with mild pain/tightness around the lower back (centered, feels like my spine) during wheel. I was a (not great) gymnast when I was younger and have never had problems before, but hadn't tried the pose in several years. I practiced at my local studio with instructors, and they said it looked ok (arms in, knees hip-width). It almost feels like my spine can't bend enough? I do know that my hip flexors are tight. Other back bending poses don't cause pain, although I'm not incredibly experienced and may not be doing everything correctly. 

If it's unclear what I might be doing wrong, does anyone have suggestions for poses that bend your back about the same amount as wheel? I'm trying to figure out if it's my back flexibility that's the problem or just something I'm doing in wheel that I haven't figured out. Thank you :)

Also- I had muscular back pain last year (likely from the tight hip flexors/posture/sitting forever) and had an x-ray and have a totes normal spine!

Hello! Did you check your feet to make sure they weren't splayed outward. Outside edges parallel and hip width. Since you mentioned sitting forever I doubt that will help much. Sitting causes the entire front side of the body to become short and weak. The exact opposite of what we need for strong backbends. When we go into a backbend, it doesn't matter which one, we end up dumping the entire backbend into our lower back because everything else is so stiff. Are you able to sit right down on the floor in the splits? And how much work are you willing to do for this, both learning and practice time?

How warmed up are you when you try it? This is a pose that you might consider at the end of a class/session. I can't do wheel (so take my advice with a grain of salt), but when I attempt it, it's usually after having done a few other back bending poses.

Thanks for the responses! Larry, I like how I'm probably violating your second point of advice :) 

1) I am always warmed up, and had been doing this in a yoga class near the end. At home I usually follow Candace's videos so I'm warmed up then too. Sometimes I'll do stretches and poses after running, so maybe I'm a little too exhausted to be trying an intense pose like wheel.

2) Anahata: I can definitely not do splits! I've improved flexibility quite a bit over the past year but I'm still fairly inflexible in my hips and hamstrings. I'm trying to work on this every week. Today I tried the "30 minute heart opening feel good yoga flow" which ends with Wheel. This time, it felt better. I did focus on my feet, knees, and elbows being in line and not splayed outward, but the video also had milder back bends earlier on. Maybe my body is warmed up, but not necessarily my spine when I usually practice it. What would you recommend as far as learning/practicing goes?

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Larry, I like how I'm probably violating your second point of advice :) 

I'm glad someone noticed my auto signature! I forgot it was there...LOL

On 8/14/2016 at 1:31 PM, Jordan said:

Maybe my body is warmed up, but not necessarily my spine when I usually practice it. What would you recommend as far as learning/practicing goes?

If you like that type of heart opening video/practice and are happy with that I would say just keep doing those. If you want more then I can add to that, let me know.

The splits is an indication of how open the front of the hips are. When the front of the hips are tight the backbend get forced into the lower back and causes compression and pain.

Another thing to do is look at all of your chairs/sitting. Crumpled up all day long in that forward rounded way is really bad for our overall health and makes backbends really difficult as well. Try to adjust your chairs, in your car as well, so you are tall and upright maybe even add a little back bend to the shape.