KeeksMcKeeks

Anyone Else have Charley Horsed Hammies?!

3 posts in this topic

Anyone else experience a tightening or charley horsed feeling of muscles in the hamstring/glute area, particularly during poses like King Cobra and Upward Bow pose? Even with long sessions of warming up, I find both legs will cramp to the point I need to stand up and "walk it off" when I attempt these poses. Is there a specific stretch anyone can recommend to remedy this or enlighten me on what I'm doing wrong that causes the charley horse? It's really cramping my style (haha!). Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

As a side note, I would mention that I've been practicing almost daily for more than a year and a half, so it's not a "new to yoga" growing pain.

Thank you!

Keeks

I find that if I 'attack' a pose (for example, quickly bending my let), my muscles will cramp up. If I slowly ease into it (breathing in deeply during the exertion), I don't.

While I can't yet do these specific poses, I do suffer from charley horses. Charley horse is an uncontrolled spasm and, for me, often a sign I'm not yet ready for a pose or I overworked that particular muscle/muscle group. Often, the best method for me is taking the pose in stages or  I use a roller or my hands to massage the spasm out. If you ever seen those Eos lip balms (or the knock offs), they are great for myofascial pain like Charley Horses. My mom hated the lip balm, so I took out the guts (it smelled horrible), washed it in the dishwasher, and use it to target areas like glutes, quads, my shoulders, biceps....it hurts but you feel so good after because that muscle was inflamed. Tennis balls are good for rubbing out inflammation as well, but my favorites cheap hacks so far for getting inflammation or spasms out are rolling pins (if you have one at home, that is), Eos lip balms, and spoons!