Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yogabliss

How Do You Like Your Yoga Class?

9 posts in this topic

I wonder how you guys like your yoga classes, mellow, fast paced ,sweaty , insightful etc..? Just asking since sometimes I have heard different people make comments about what they consider a good class and everybody has a different opinion , in my case I like them all I just wish for the day when I'll be able to do higher level classes , in the mean time I'm enjoying this awesome ride

MrBalloonHands likes this

Great topic!! 

I love a variety. Sometimes I pick a teacher because I know she's super creative in sequencing that will leave my body guessing and sweating and inspire my practice. Other times, I want to go back to basics so I'll pick someone who is all business and straightforward. I really appreciate insightful thoughts/themes for classes but I like it to be...organized, if that makes sense- not too preachy, not too long winded. Insightful, and thought-provoking, but relevant to what we're doing. I love a good yin class just as much as I love a fast paced, loud class.  :)

Reggi, Melanie, Yogabliss and 1 other like this

A good mix! In general I like classes that have a slow warm up and cool down, whether it's a fast paced, beginner's, or yin in the middle. Some of my favorite teachers will give a little talk at the beginning about the focus of the class, my studio has themes of the month so they'll often discuss those or a short personal anecdote, I really enjoy that. 

Yogabliss likes this

I like to sweat...and be challenged as the other more relaxed sessions I will do at home.  At home I may be less inclined to push myself or to even work up a sweat..lol

Meugenio, Melanie, Jake and 1 other like this

I like to sweat and work hard. If i'm not being challenged I feel unsatisfied. However, slow and gentle yoga classes make me sweat just as much because I'm working on my flexibility and being able to hold poses that are tough for me!

Yogabliss, Nix and Meugenio like this

I like to sweat...and be challenged as the other more relaxed sessions I will do at home.  At home I may be less inclined to push myself or to even work up a sweat..lol

I totally agree! I like going to classes that are challenging and inspiring. When I live in a specific place for a longer period of time and find teachers that I really like and feel like I connect with, I'll do my best to go to their classes. There was a studio that I found in South Bend, IN and it was there that I first discovered restorative yoga. At first I was a little skeptical because I like to work hard and sweat in my yoga classes, but I LOVED it. So I suppose I mostly go for challenging classes and then go to restorative yoga whenever I feel like I really need to relax.

Yogabliss and Nix like this

My personal practice is a mix of everything: power vinyasas, slow hatha, restorative... But when I go to a class I have to somehow fall in love with the teacher. For me is very important the voice, a balanced pace and the way the teacher makes me feel the connection with the class.

Yogabliss likes this

Vanyogalife - I know what you mean by "having to fall in love with the teacher"!  Does that mean if there's a sub for the class you usually go to, do you skip it and do some other workout?  That's the case for me... if I go to the sub, I end up getting disappointed, but I know that's not very good for trying to keep a consistent practice.

I like classes that have some kind of progression working toward the full expression of a challenging pose.

For instance, the focus could be shoulders with a lot of shoulder openings, and then we do full wheel at the end.  When we had that class, I felt like I was able to get up more easily than before because my chest and shoulders were warm enough.

Some focuses are more playful - for instance, last Saturday we did a lot of frog pose with ab crunches and lying on our bellies, in addition to hip openers along the floor and wall.  Then we were asked to go into forearm or handstand and open our legs into frog.  I was on another wall due to space limits, so I saw the rest of the class go up first and spread out their legs, side by side. It was the the most amusing and coolest thing to see!

I used to focus on just vinyasa and want to move right away.  But now I really appreciate the stretches we do in the beginning, especially when the class is smaller, and the teacher asks for any requests or injuries.  So if I say "today my carpal tunnel is acting up" or "my neck is really tense", and my teacher adapts and makes us do wrist or neck stretches that really help me feel better and relieve the pain after class is over.

I also appreciate little doses of philosophy if they're presented as part of a personal anecdote from the teacher. That seems to resonate to me more, if I can see how someone is applying it practically in their life.

Yogabliss likes this

I like my classes with a flow instead of stopping and starting. Drives me made to get into unrelated poses. Getting in a flow gets you nice and warm and transition from each pose into the next.

I made the mistake of loving the sub teacher we had which killed of my love for the class I was doing. The sub only taught as back up and didn't teach anywhere else :(

Yogabliss likes this