veryhaley

Question: Feel sick after yoga? (non medical related)

4 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I recently got back into doing yoga and I have noticed a pattern from the last time I tried it as well. I am fine in the moment, but I later notice that after all of the upside down poses, I am left feeling weak, with an uneasy stomach. I did learn that it is usually bothered when I do yoga immediately after I eat, or with an empty stomach. I had figured it was just heat related, but then I remembered my recent yoga practices around the time I feel this way.

I'm looking for any tips of foods, drinks, ANYTHING that help fill you up, gain energy, yet do not make you feel uneasy with holding upside down poses.

I would also appreciate tips of when/how much to eat or drink within the time you know you will be doing yoga so it doesn't affect you for the rest of the day!

I hope this comes across clearly.

Figured I'd ask just in case as I would love to keep up the process :-) thanks!

I constantly sip some water during yoga class so I don't feel faint or lightheaded.  I read the advice that one should eat about 2 hours before practice at least.  I usually feel strongest when I go to my 6 pm class with lunch 4-5 hours beforehand.  

What do you normally eat? I can get faint and easily overexert myself if I don't have some carbs in the morning (e.g. I only had yogurt and banana, that wasn't enough and I had a fainting spell). It could also be some form of vertigo if it only happens to you during inverted poses.  Your body might just be getting used to it.

I try to get a fair amount of complex carbs in an hour and a half before my practice. Like if I have a bowl of oatmeal, that is ideal. I also make sure I have enough water like an hour/half an hour before my practice.

I'm the kind that can eat just about anytime before yoga and be fine (fast metabolism); however, I do feel a little nauseous if I've eaten a big meal 30 minutes of yoga, especially if I had, oh I don't know, two bowls of Lucky Charms cereal. That makes me feel a little ill. Lots of water for when I do longer than 10-15 minute yoga sessions.

When it's hot, I often find that after a yoga session, I may not feel especially thirsty, but hungry and I'll go downstairs and get a fruit puree popsicle (like Outshine Grape, Strawberry Kiwi, Raspberry, etc. popsicles. Those are my favorite.) I get hydrated but I get some kind of food too. Are they as nutritious as homemade ones? No, but I tend to gag when I can taste the texture of many fruits, so puree popsicles are kind of my jam.

If you prefer homemade popsicles, here are some good ones: https://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharrison/healthy-fruit-popsicles?utm_term=.vcOnVN0Zl#.erRKzmBa0