Lorelei

All Levels vs Basics

6 posts in this topic

Can you explain the question more please? What is the purpose of differentiating levels? I am not sure I understand what that means. And what are you trying to accomplish or improve by doing that? I would like to offer help but I am completely lost.

Oftentimes, All Levels classes are offered at studios.  As a new yoga teacher running my own program, I'm asking other yoga teachers out there if they can tell me how they plan an All Levels class.  

Breathe likes this

I understand now, sorry for the confusion. Most poses everyone can do. Some will just go a little deeper, some not so deep. I usually just aim for the average of the class. The more advanced will likely do a little more on their own. And then I will watch to see if a few are unsure so I offer them an easier version or guidance in the pose.

In other poses I will have to offer different poses for different people. For example Bridge and Wheel the are the same pose but it is a big step from the easier to the more difficult. So I will have them all do one Bridge and then do a vinyasa. Half way through the vinyasa I stop the class in upward dog ‘pause in updog’ one person in the class will get the joke ‘paws in updog’ the rest of the class wonders what is going on with the laughing. Anyhow, at  that point I will have them do Sphinx pose and show them not let the belly drupe – lower back dump which is excellent training for all backbends. Then back to a few Bridge poses. Where I will suggest Wheel as an option. A few might give it a try. A few more might start to act uncertain so I will give them the option of the one legged Bridge which is an good building step towards Wheel. At htat point I will remind them all of the correct form for these poses. And pulling the belly in from Sphinx which is very helpful for all these poses. So I have set up a training (more details are added in class) for all these poses that are the same. At this point in the class I would have people in Bridge, one leg Bridge and Wheel (maybe even one leg Wheel). And all using the basic teachings which are the same. Plus I would try help individuals if they needed something.

That is just for one pose. Like I wrote at the start much of the class will only be one pose for everyone which is less complicated.

Breathe likes this

Hi Lorelei! I usually aim for a somewhat basic flow. The other day I had a fun vinyasa that went: tadasana, forward fold, halfway lift, hold plank. Option for beginners to stay here or even take it to the knees, option for more experienced to do a variation with either a push up or toe taps or both. Then we move on, chaturanga, cobra for beginners or up dog for more experienced, downward facing dog. Three leg dog, then shoulders over wrists and knee into forehead. Then, side plank but beginners can take lower leg knee to the ground, while more experienced can do regular side plank with a lifted top leg variation. Then side plank on the other side with same options for beginners/experienced, with the additional option to drop into wild thing. Then everyone step forward to the front of the mat, and we continue on. So basically, always have in your back pocket a few places where you can pause and give some options for beginners and give some options for the more advanced. Once you as the teacher get more comfortable with juggling the different levels (it's challenging!), you'll be able to kind of improvise as you go. I hope that's helpful!

Breathe likes this

On 8/29/2016 at 6:08 AM, Anahata said:

I understand now, sorry for the confusion. Most poses everyone can do. Some will just go a little deeper, some not so deep. I usually just aim for the average of the class. The more advanced will likely do a little more on their own. And then I will watch to see if a few are unsure so I offer them an easier version or guidance in the pose.

In other poses I will have to offer different poses for different people. For example Bridge and Wheel the are the same pose but it is a big step from the easier to the more difficult. So I will have them all do one Bridge and then do a vinyasa. Half way through the vinyasa I stop the class in upward dog ‘pause in updog’ one person in the class will get the joke ‘paws in updog’ the rest of the class wonders what is going on with the laughing. Anyhow, at  that point I will have them do Sphinx pose and show them not let the belly drupe – lower back dump which is excellent training for all backbends. Then back to a few Bridge poses. Where I will suggest Wheel as an option. A few might give it a try. A few more might start to act uncertain so I will give them the option of the one legged Bridge which is an good building step towards Wheel. At htat point I will remind them all of the correct form for these poses. And pulling the belly in from Sphinx which is very helpful for all these poses. So I have set up a training (more details are added in class) for all these poses that are the same. At this point in the class I would have people in Bridge, one leg Bridge and Wheel (maybe even one leg Wheel). And all using the basic teachings which are the same. Plus I would try help individuals if they needed something.

That is just for one pose. Like I wrote at the start much of the class will only be one pose for everyone which is less complicated.

Thank you, Anahata.  Good advice.  I like stopping in sphinx.  It's a good pose to be able to watch a demo.

On 8/29/2016 at 0:01 PM, YogaByCandace said:

Hi Lorelei! I usually aim for a somewhat basic flow. The other day I had a fun vinyasa that went: tadasana, forward fold, halfway lift, hold plank. Option for beginners to stay here or even take it to the knees, option for more experienced to do a variation with either a push up or toe taps or both. Then we move on, chaturanga, cobra for beginners or up dog for more experienced, downward facing dog. Three leg dog, then shoulders over wrists and knee into forehead. Then, side plank but beginners can take lower leg knee to the ground, while more experienced can do regular side plank with a lifted top leg variation. Then side plank on the other side with same options for beginners/experienced, with the additional option to drop into wild thing. Then everyone step forward to the front of the mat, and we continue on. So basically, always have in your back pocket a few places where you can pause and give some options for beginners and give some options for the more advanced. Once you as the teacher get more comfortable with juggling the different levels (it's challenging!), you'll be able to kind of improvise as you go. I hope that's helpful!

Thank you, Candace.  Great advice.  That really helps.  The All Levels are going well, and I'm getting good feedback.  I'm stealing the flow you detailed in this reply, btw. ;)  See you in Chicago!

YogaByCandace likes this