helenschki

Yoga And The Sniffles

9 posts in this topic

Flu season is coming up and I would be interested in hearing your opinions on yoga and being unwell. Of course, if one is infectious I would not do yoga but what about a cold? Generally one should never do sports with a sore throat, does this also apply to yoga?

When I'm sick I try to listen to my body. Sometimes I need to just curl up and watch tv and other times I feel like I really want to move so I'll do some yoga.  :) I feel like the body really knows best if we just listen to it, you know? Like you said, if someone's infectious, I wouldn't suggest they go to a class, but I think if they felt like they wanted to practice they could certainly do it from home.

helenschki, Melanie, Reggi and 1 other like this

I had a little cold already, and I avoided yoga during it. My sinuses tend to sway between way too dry or gross and dripping, neither of which are good for a class. I worry about my sinuses drying out too much. If you're fatigued, seems like you'd have a tough time with even medium challenging poses or flows. 

helenschki likes this

I usually don't practice when I've got a cold or even when my allergies are acting up and I'm feeling congested. It frustrates me more that I can't breathe properly in a yoga class than not having enough energy to be fully present.

helenschki and notlulamae like this

Sometimes when I'm not feeling well enough to do a regular practice I just do some restorative yoga. If I don't feel well enough to do even that I find a good movie and curl up on the couch with some hot tea and my kitty! :37:

Melanie, laceyd, Reggi and 1 other like this

I usually don't practice when I've got a cold or even when my allergies are acting up and I'm feeling congested. It frustrates me more that I can't breathe properly in a yoga class than not having enough energy to be fully present.

Same here. There's nothing worse than trying to get in a flow and either having to stop to blow your nose or having to switch to breathing to your mouth. I lose all co-ordination and throw the towel in!

Meugenio likes this

I think most agreed that they would skip practice, especially with clogged sinuses. But I had to add something because I just remembered an unpleasant experience.  I think light exercise, such as running outside, might be a better alternative. Just somewhere that is not in a closed space with other people.  Regarding a sore throat, usually that indicates some kind of infection, and I think that would be uncomfortable on the throat if you practice with ujayii breathing.

Unless your yoga class has a lot of space, please think how other participants would feel practicing next to you. I remembered that only one other woman was in my row in class (narrow room), and the whole time while I was breathing, I smelled something unpleasant.  I finally figured out at the end that she must have been sick because my breath gets deadly when I get sick.  And most of the time you can't tell yourself (so I don't blame that woman, she was just unaware). But your loved one will be brutally honest with you and ask you to breathe in the other direction.  :)

Nix likes this

Sometimes when I'm not feeling well enough to do a regular practice I just do some restorative yoga. If I don't feel well enough to do even that I find a good movie and curl up on the couch with some hot tea and my kitty! :37:

I'm right there with you! If I'm feeling up to it I do some restorative yoga. My body tells me what I need and I do my best to listen to it. :)

I was conflicted about doing yoga this weekend because I wasn't feeling the best but I decided to try it out anyway...It helped a whole lot!  I guess if I was really really sick I would pass but seemingly sweating it out was just what I needed.