Allanahking

Sacroiliitis

6 posts in this topic

Hello!
My name is Allanah and I'm 22. I've been dealing with Sacroiliitis which is the inflammation of your sacroiliac joint, since October 2015. It prevents me from doing the simplest of things (like sitting with straight legs and doing a forward fold, even on a block?!). My hips and low back are so tight, sitting cross legged is painful (even on a block). My hamstrings are so tight that when I'm doing legs up the wall pose my thighs are at least 1 foot from the wall and it's still so painful. I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue, and how are you over coming it? How do you stretch the hamstrings and hips when they're in pain all the time? Any help or advice is much appreciated<3

YogaByCandace likes this

I don't have any advice, but some questions...

Are you practicing on your own, or with a trained, competent yoga instructor? One should be able to isolate specific exercises or modifications that might help you.

Have consulted with a professional medical practitioner? 

I have seen a medical professional, but not who practices yoga. I have been to a chiropractor and I'm waiting to get into a physiotherapist! I practice at home a lot, and I often attend hot yoga classes. I've spoken with all the yoga teachers I know, getting advice here and there - and even one who had sacroiliitis too (she told me to do a lot of glute strengthening)! I'm currently enrolled in a yoga teacher training for Soma & Hatha yoga, the soma training has been helping me recover lost feelings in some muscles! It's still almost impossible to be comfortable in most sitting postures even when modified.

LarryD517 likes this

I haven't had sacroiliitis, but I have hurt that area from a really rough ride before. I know you've seen a chiropractor, but have you done deep tissue massage? Sometimes the inflammation in the joint can't release because of the tight muscles, so you have to work on the muscles and fascia surrounding it before you can get to the joint.  A PT should give you a great set of exercises to help you though. 

Welcome to the site. Below, I am just passing along some information for you to look at. I do not know if it is appropriate for you but maybe you can find something that will help you in the right direction and helping you better deal with healthcare providers. And I have highlighted the really important part here. http://www.yogajournal.com/article/teach/protect-the-sacroiliac-joints/ and http://www.yogajournal.com/article/teach/practice-tips-for-the-si-joints/

There are a few crucial things to tell your student about adjusting her SI joint, whether she does it herself or has someone else do it.

First, tell her that a good SI adjustment should feel good, both during the adjustment and afterward. If the adjustment feels at all painful, or even neutral, it is probably not helpful and may even be harmful.

Second, tell her that the appropriate adjustment or pose for her SI may be one-sided. An asymmetrical adjustment or posture that helps the SI when practiced on one side may well make it worse when practiced on the other. Advise her to only practice the posture on the side that feels relieved by it.

Third, tell her that not all adjustments are appropriate for her. A posture or manipulation that works wonders for her friend may do nothing at all for her. Advise her to find just one or a few postures or adjustments that work well and to abandon those that dont work.

Fourth, tell her that immediately after she gets her SI adjusted into place, she is best off leaving it alone overnight (or longer) before practicing any asanas. When she does practice, she should begin with stabilization.

source: link above