scottcraft

Macro tracking

14 posts in this topic

I know Candace tracks her macros and I've started recently as well. Do any of you track your macros amd if so how is it working for you? I started at the beginning of September and I've lost 16 pounds and I feel really good. 

YogaByCandace likes this

That is awesome, Scott! Keep us posted - what differences do you feel or notice? Any tips for people who are struggling to track? To me it comes second nature but I know a lot of people struggle with finding the time to plug in the foods. 

scottcraft likes this

29 minutes ago, YogaByCandace said:

That is awesome, Scott! Keep us posted - what differences do you feel or notice? Any tips for people who are struggling to track? To me it comes second nature but I know a lot of people struggle with finding the time to plug in the foods. 

I feel really good. My energy level is a lot better. I noticed this within the first three or four days of tracking. I've been lifting weights and I'm noticing small improvements in appearance, especially in my legs. I'm not really concerned about muscle size at this point since my primary goal is losing fat, but the strength improvements are welcome. 

Tracking is so much easier when your spouse is on board. My wife is tracking her macros also and she's enjoying it, even though she hasn't lost as much weight as I have. 

The main thing that is tough for someone that is a good amount overweight like I am is being hungry a lot. I've had to start eating less for breakfast so I can have a larger meal in the evening. I've also started eating more vegetables so I can fill up without eating too many calories. 

Two great resources I use are the iifym website and Facebook page. I got my initial macro calculations from the website and the Facebook page is a huge help in figuring out different macro friendly foods. 

As of this morning I'm at 224, which is a 16.8 pound loss from when I started at the beginning of September. I weigh every morning and it is exciting to see my weight drop five out of seven days in a week. I'm not sure what my goal weight will be, but I'm thinking it will be between 170-180, but I'll have to evaluate how I look and feel when I get closer to that point. 

YogaByCandace likes this

9 hours ago, YogaByCandace said:

Awesome, it sounds like you and your wife are on a great path! So glad to hear you're enjoying the process and are seeing results!

Thanks Candace! 

Here are a couple more things I've noticed. First, I'm a heavy sweater, always have been. The problem I have is excessive underarm sweat even when I'm doing ordinary activities that aren't physical at all. I just realized a couple of days ago that I haven't been sweating like that at all. I can't say for sure that it's due to my new eating habits, but it's definitely a welcome change that I'll be keeping an eye on. Second, even though I've lost some weight (20 pounds as of this morning) I'm still not really in shape even though I feel really good. I am going to have to start doing stuff to work on agility. I feel like an old man trying to do some things. 

YogaByCandace likes this

I'm very skeptical about the macros tracking considering I have the disordered eating. I would like to gain about 4 or 5 more pounds putting me at 100 even, but tracking macros could be my undoing so it's been a huge debate for me. I've gone back and forth on it for a good month or two. It's been swirling around in my head, but I can't decide whether to commit or not. >.>

scottcraft likes this

17 hours ago, KateZena said:

I'm very skeptical about the macros tracking considering I have the disordered eating. I would like to gain about 4 or 5 more pounds putting me at 100 even, but tracking macros could be my undoing so it's been a huge debate for me. I've gone back and forth on it for a good month or two. It's been swirling around in my head, but I can't decide whether to commit or not. >.>

Ok, I feel like a pig knowing I'm over twice your weight....

I can't say how macro tracking would work with an eating disorder, but it's certainly working well for me. If you are on Facebook, you could join the iifym group and ask questions there. There are some very knowledgeable people on there that could possibly give you answers to your questions. There is also an iifym page for women only. 

@scottcraft Aw, don't feel bad! Please? I'm lighter than most people. I'm like a stick to most logs out there...I'm a Chihuahua to most....okay, that's not helping.

The point is, we are all different body types. Like I've said to my mom and other people who've learned my weight (as I tend to be dead honest about it), just because two people are the same height and sex doesn't mean they were meant to be the same weight. That's the problem with BMI and I really had to overcome that. I have an incredibly light but compact frame. 5 pounds on me looks like 10 on another. So when you see before and after photos from when I was at my lowest and now it's night and day. 95 looks much different on me than, say, on someone who is meant to be 110. That's skeletal for them; you see "I need about 2 more pounds" on me.

So, you have a different frame than me. One that can handle a little more weight. NOT meant to be under triples and that always makes me a little envious because I'd like to be able to know what's it's like to keep my butt in the seat on the roller coaster the whole time. But, we all want the same thing: to be the best us. And I'm pretty proud of you for losing those 16 pounds. :) Mind sharing them. HA HA.

@KateZena I was joking around about the pig part, although it seems strange for me to be that much heavier than someone. I guess in some ways I still picture myself as the 6' 160 pound guy I was 15 years ago. I still have some pounds to go, so if you can figure out how to do it I'd be more than happy to share a few with you!

17 hours ago, KateZena said:

How's your macro tracking going, @scottcraft?

It's going very well Kate, thanks for asking! I'm now down to 211. I'm still noticing small improvements in muscles but mainly I'm losing my belly. Hopefully I'll be below 200 by thanksgiving!

4 hours ago, KateZena said:

@scottcraft WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *dances* I need a congratulatory dancing emoticon. You know, a disco one going, "Yea, yea, you got it." 

Thank! Losing weight and feeling great!