Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrsjoe24

Emotional Health

4 posts in this topic

Hi y'all!

I'm looking for some advice from someone who's hopefully similar to me. 

I feel really deeply. I sense others emotions/intentions before I even notice it. I've always been quite sensitive to vibes (for lack of a better explanation.) It wasn't until I met a former coworker who was the same for me to realize it and since I've been trying to pay extra care to what I'm allowing to affect me. 

I'm seeking tips to avoid letting others' emotions control me. I seem to always take what another person is feeling and intensify it. Which is great when I'm around happiness but draining when it's frustration, anger, or depression.. 

I'm really hoping there's others that understand this and have been successful at controlling it. 

Cheers ?

yogafire likes this

Having empathy is great, but when you start internalizing what others are feeling - you don't need that.  I'm similar too, but probably for different reasons. Usually if I'm sensitive to someone else's emotions, it's because I am worried how they are feeling and then take it upon myself to help them.

I am learning not read into people's negative emotions and understand it isn't necessarily about me.  I to remind myself to not take it personally (it's not about me) and therefore not worry about it.  Then it's easier not to take responsibility in trying to understand that person and just let them be.

It's very hard.. are you like this with everyone or just people you extremely care about? I'm working on this with my husband for instance - it's great like you said, we can easily influence each other's happiness, but if one of us is down from something external like work, it's hard for the other person not to be sensitive to it and feel down by it.

yogancupcake38 and mrsjoe24 like this

I'm like this with everyone.  It's way more apparent in my marriage because like you said when I feel my husband's emotions I internalize them and somehow magnify it. So his frustration becomes a huge deal for me and we spark fires from that. ? I tend to try to notice it quicker with him though because we've discussed it so many times now. 

I have found a few things to work.

1) Try grounding yourself at the end of the day/ a heavy emotionally charged moment. To do this preferrably go outside, shoes and socks off. Put your feet on the earth, close your eyes and release all of the other peoples emotions. Focus on yourself, the sensation of the ground, the elements around you, take some deep breaths and remind yourself that you are you and although you can empathize you don\t need to hold on to these outside emotions.

2) Take time apart from your significant other. Sometimes couples can get lost in each other. Becoming more like one or the other and losing the self. Time apart can help you both find yourselves again. It also helps to spark a desire for each other as you are not seeing each other daily.