katjamas

Ashtanga yoga: Do I keep on doing exactly same every day?

5 posts in this topic

I really like how challenging ashtanga is, but i'm thinking do i do exactly the same sequence every single time i do it? or is it possible to have different sequences and maybe sometimes shorter practices that 1:30 hour?

Thanks

Love 

Katja

Are you taking a live class a studio? If you do ashtanga, the routine will usually be the same. Many of the poses are similar to poses in other types of classes, so If you like variety, take a different class.

I took a class, but I am thinking about just doing it by myself with Fightmaster's videos on youtube. I just was wondering if it's supposed to be literally the same every time or can i do it in different order?

I understand the way you feel about ashtanga.

I practice it because I'm not a good sequencer, so it affords me the time to think about it. But after some time it starts feeling that you may be missing something because your doing always the same poses. Another struggle is the time necessary for the complete Ashtanga sequence...

What I've made to manage those difficulties was to perform a Work Breakdown structure on it (WBS is a methodology used on project management).

In general Ashtanga is organized in blocks: sun salutations, standing asanas, seated asanas, inversions, etc

Sp, I broke it down, and picked another poses to each structure, which I can shuffle. This allows me to diversify the practice and have more control over the time it will require. In the post above, I've explained it better.

Hope, it helps :)