Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ace1211

New to yoga, is this routine good to start?

7 posts in this topic

Is this a good start? I plan to practice 4-5 days a week, I need to lose a ton of weight. 

Surya Namaskar A and B. 3 times each
Tree pose: 5 breaths each leg 
Warrior 1: 5 each side. 
Warrior 2: 5 each side. 
Triangle: 10 each side. 

Warrior 3: 10 each leg. 
Reverse table: 5 breaths for each rep (5 reps)
Side plank: 5 each side (5 breaths each rep)
Extended leg crunches: 15 reps. 

Cat cow- 10 reps. 

Savasana. 

I would eventually like to do Ashtanga, but I'm not at that level, fitness wise. Please add or alter any poses you'd like. 

Thank you. 

It all depends on you. If you're a beginner, not in great shape, you might want to focus on more elementary poses (cat cow, table top, tiger pose, mountain, forward fold, downward dog, etc.).

Side plank, Warrior 1,2,3, etc., are not beginner poses.

Start slowly.

Look through Candace's video selections https://www.youtube.com/user/YOGABYCANDACE/videos and find instructional videos that can help you learn

Ace1211 likes this

11 hours ago, Ace1211 said:

I would eventually like to do Ashtanga, but I'm not at that level, fitness wise. Please add or alter any poses you'd like. 

Ashtanga can be practiced by anyone. Here is a great video to get started, first one on the list. A Mysore class/teacher would be a better option. This type of instruction will take care of you regardless of your experience. If it doesn't then you find another place to practice. Any pose can be modified for anybody. Enjoy your yoga!

Ace1211 likes this

29 minutes ago, Anahata said:

Ashtanga can be practiced by anyone. ...

Agreed...but...

I was a newbie and stumbled on an Ashtanga class, which I took regularly for a few months until the teacher moved. The new teacher wasn't leading Ashtanga.

For the point of view of a newbie, I think the class has a few limitations:

• It's relatively fast paced. If you know the pose, great, if not, you might not have the opportunity to learn (as you might in a Iyengar class, which I felt was a lot slower)
  • Unless you have OCD, some may bore of the repetition. I prefer variety and learning new poses.
  • There are a few poses that can be modified, but are still, to an extent, somewhat advanced. I didn't mind the challenge, mind you, but some newbies that I brought into the class didn't enjoy it.
  • The fast pace might not permit the instructor to 'hand hold' the newbie. 
  • Vinyasas are fun, but after the 20th or 30th, I started to like them less :) 

I'm not saying Ashtanga isn't worthwhile (I think every minute on the mat is beneficial), but if I were advising a newbie, I'd try to steer them into a class that might dovetail best with newbie's needs.

For the record, I've been practicing for just about 2 years, but still remember as if it were yesterday my first classes.

Ace1211 likes this

Larry, Mysore is a completely different approach to Ashtanga than a lead type class. Anybody should be comfortable at Mysore, new people, disabilities, anything.

OCD

Samsara Halahala Mohasantyai—pacifying delusion, the poison of Samsara

In plain English 'My practice is a mirror helping me to realize my true self.'

This is from the guide for Ashtanga practice

Ace1211 likes this

Thank you for the feedback/advice. I tried the sequence of poses a few times last week and I was definitely sore but was not in pain. Some of the poses are not overly challenging but they aren't easy, which I feel is where they should be. I will do this sequence for a few months 4-5 times a week then go to an actual Ashtanga class as at that point I will have increased my strength, flexibility and endurance. The "not beginner" poses don't seem to be an issue for me, maybe I have natural strength and flexibility that I was unaware of. 

Again, thank you for the replies. 

Namaste. 

I'd advise going to a live class if you want to learn. Better to get the form right, rather than possibly doing it wrong for months. 

Ace1211 likes this