Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill718

Weight loss??

6 posts in this topic

Hello - I'm 61, male. I've been doing Yoga for 2 years now, 5 days a week. I use DVD's from White Lotus (Ganga White and Tracey Rich), Rondey Yee, and Suzanne Deeson, as well as Steve Ross via You tube. I got into Yoga because I heard one can lose weight with Yoga. I'm in better condition and feel better, but have not lost a  pound, I started out 70 pounds overweight 2 years ago....and I'm still 70 pounds overweight! I've tried to eat healthy, and cut down on the beer and junk food, but nothing has worked. I don't want to abandon Yoga, but feel all this "yoga for weight loss" stuff is just a stupid scam. So....

1. When does the weight start coming off??

2. Would 2 workout's a day help?

3. Would fasting help?

4. What would some of you folks do in this situation?

You can respond here, or send me an email at carokann718@gmail.com

Thank You

I don't think strictly yoga is going to cause you to lose weight. What and how you eat is much more important to losing weight than your workouts.

1. When does the weight start coming off??

>Depending on your diet...when you adjust your eating habits

2. Would 2 workout's a day help?

>No

3. Would fasting help?

>Absolutely not

4. What would some of you folks do in this situation?

>Give up bread, pasta, rice, pizza, potatoes, cereal and rice and you will lose weight so fast you'll not recognize yourself. 

I did this ...I lost 70 pounds in eight months

It can be done

Unless you want to get spam from the entire internet, I don't think it's a good idea to post your email address. You should edit it out

I have been reading this great book called The Good Gut and it talks about how populating the gut with good bacteria may help to maintain a healthy weight, so it would probably be a good idea to take probiotics, eat traditionally fermented foods like sauerkraut and kefir. I personally think anything marketed as 'Yoga for Weight Loss' is an absolute scam and you will never see a yoga video like that on YBC. You might lose a little bit of weight, but the real key to losing weight is adjusting your eating habits, making sure to get plenty of varied exercise, and maintaining low stress levels. 

I know you posted this question a long time ago, but, in case you're still looking for answers....

My guess is that you may need to add a more aerobic component to your workout. Yoga, especially the slow, more traditional type, is great for strength and flexibility, but doesn't necessarily get your heart rate up and make you sweat the way you need to in order to really burn fat. I'd consider incorporating speed walking, Pilates, or at least a faster paced yoga workout (e.g. power yoga or fast flow) and I bet that would make a difference.