YogaByCandace

39 Day Yoga Progress Project: Flexibility

178 posts in this topic

I've had a crazy busy day today, so haven't yet had time to do day three's yoga. I've been doing the recommended videos and postures + a bit of ragdoll and extra practice of my dancer's pose to try to get the kick up as high as I'd like by day 39 :) Really enjoying it so far. I've also picked out a picture as my goal, it's realistic so I was happy to come across it.

Today's recommendations seem to focus on relaxation, so right before bed I think will be the best time for me  :37:

And hot yoga somebody mentioned - what a good idea for the flexibility challenge. 

Today's meditation and relaxation video completed and felt great! The heart opener pose was fabulous! I love this pose and used folded blankets which worked great for now (can't wait to get my bolster and put it to good use!). My Bengal cat Diezel thought he'd get in on the action and stretched also! Now off to bed, gotta work tonight!

What a great practice is doing everyone!! :7::D I taped my split video but have to take the screenshot yet :5: . Besides, I started my second yoga teacher training this past weekend and have been like 10 hours of physical yoga practice non stop :sweatingbullets:  . But sure I'll be posting soon!!!

I have been taking it easy today after getting off to a good start in the weekend and actually feeling a bit sore after that. 

Which makes me wonder: Candace, you have included ret days in your program. Are there any guidelines to estimate how often you need a rest day? And is a rest day completely yoga free or is a bit of gentle stretching a good idea on a rest day?

Nice to hear that you are all motivated and feeling good  :54:

Mana and Laura like this

I have been taking it easy today after getting off to a good start in the weekend and actually feeling a bit sore after that. 

Which makes me wonder: Candace, you have included ret days in your program. Are there any guidelines to estimate how often you need a rest day? And is a rest day completely yoga free or is a bit of gentle stretching a good idea on a rest day?

on the schedule she posted on the first page, it gives rest days...i think they're about 2 per week

that's what im following...i intend to do no yoga on those days, but i may do other exercises...i think it's at your discretion

YogaByCandace, Laura and Turi like this

In rest days I've planned to do at least some harmstrings, back and shoulders stretches: they're very helpful for me to get through the day at the office :54:

yogagrammy and Turi like this

on the schedule she posted on the first page, it gives rest days...i think they're about 2 per week

that's what im following...i intend to do no yoga on those days, but i may do other exercises...i think it's at your discretion

:) Yes, Turi, like femmefatalekris suggested, it's at your discretion. One of the things I love about yoga is that it's an opportunity to trust your body, tune in, and listen to what it needs. Your body will tell you when you need a rest. :)  Glad you are all doing well!!!

Reggi and Turi like this

Chest video and neck and shoulders poses done! Boy did that feel great! I love anything that releases the tension in my neck and shoulders! 

Chest video done this morning! I'll do neck and shoulder poses when I'll be back home, I think they'll be a panacea to release tensions after my nine hours at the desk :-)

Just got back from vacation and am starting up the challenge! I did Day 1 and Day 5 today, plus a warm-up, so am feeling gloriously stretched. I still haven't picked a pose though!! How did y'all decide?? Should I pick something I enjoy or something that I hate?  :lol:

Turi, YogaByCandace and Laura like this

Just got back from vacation and am starting up the challenge! I did Day 1 and Day 5 today, plus a warm-up, so am feeling gloriously stretched. I still haven't picked a pose though!! How did y'all decide?? Should I pick something I enjoy or something that I hate?  :lol:

I picked king pigeon because I love pigeon but have always wanted to get my head closer to my feet. this challenge will hopefully give me a nudge to get me there!

YogaByCandace likes this

I've choosen one pose I hate (forward fold), because it's very unconfortable for me so I know I really need to work on it, and a pose I love, even if it's very challenging for me: king pidgeon :)

YogaByCandace likes this

Oh my gosh, you guys--terrible yoga story!

So as I mentioned, we just got back from vacation and I'm catching up on the yoga challenge (did Day 2 and 6 today, whoo!). Well, while we were gone, a big picture frame fell down in our living room (where I do my yoga also) and shattered glass everywhere. I of course vacuumed a zillion times and thought I had gotten all of the glass up, until...

I'm doing the last phase of my yoga for today, the yin video. I'm enjoying a fabulous/miserable supported pigeon, and then when I stretch my right leg out to move into the other side of pigeon, I feel this intense stabbing pain in my ankle! "What the heck??" I think, and reach down, trying to feel if something just cut me or if it was a muscular spasm or something and then WHAM I'm stabbed in the finger too! Of course it's semi-dark in the room (because yin yoga is better in the dark, amirite?) so I can't see what's going on at ALL, except suddenly I see blood is basically pouring out of my ankle and finger onto my mat!! As it turns out, a fairly large shard of glass had somehow gotten embedded in the bottom of my yoga mat yesterday or today--and when I flipped my mat over, the piece of glass was like an invisible dagger or something. So I had to stop doing the video, run to the bathroom, try to staunch the bleeding in my finger and ankle, clean my mat off... and then come back and finish the yin practice, lol.

Let me just say the second half of my pigeon pose was much less mindful than the first half LOL!

So as I mentioned, we just got back from vacation and I'm catching up on the yoga challenge (did Day 2 and 6 today, whoo!). Well, while we were gone, a big picture frame fell down in our living room (where I do my yoga also) and shattered glass everywhere. I of course vacuumed a zillion times and thought I had gotten all of the glass up, until...

I'm doing the last phase of my yoga for today, the yin video. I'm enjoying a fabulous/miserable supported pigeon, and then when I stretch my right leg out to move into the other side of pigeon, I feel this intense stabbing pain in my ankle! "What the heck??" I think, and reach down, trying to feel if something just cut me or if it was a muscular spasm or something and then WHAM I'm stabbed in the finger too! Of course it's semi-dark in the room (because yin yoga is better in the dark, amirite?) so I can't see what's going on at ALL, except suddenly I see blood is basically pouring out of my ankle and finger onto my mat!! As it turns out, a fairly large shard of glass had somehow gotten embedded in the bottom of my yoga mat yesterday or today--and when I flipped my mat over, the piece of glass was like an invisible dagger or something. So I had to stop doing the video, run to the bathroom, try to staunch the bleeding in my finger and ankle, clean my mat off... and then come back and finish the yin practice, lol.

Let me just say the second half of my pigeon pose was much less mindful than the first half LOL!

Aaahhh that sounds super painful and unpleasant. I hope you're okay! Kudos to continuing your practice after taking care of yourself though! =)

yogagrammy and MrBalloonHands like this

That´s just not what you´re looking for in yoga!!  :23:

How awful! I hope you weren't hurt too bad and heal quickly! :21:

Haha it was soooo ridiculous! But I'm totally fine--the cut on my finger closed right up and almost disappeared, actually. Isn't the body amazing?!

How was y'all's yin practice?

On to yoga for men today, wahoo, and I am going to finally pick a pose... probably. Maybe. Lol.

YogaByCandace likes this