scottcraft

Inner thigh flexibility

13 posts in this topic

What are some moves I can do to improve flexibility for my inner thighs? I'm discovering that is probably the tightest area of my legs. I know getting to the splits will take a long time, but I'd like to get a little better than I am now. Thanks!

Frog pose (seen here) is a very intense but effective way to open up the inner thighs. You can also do it on your back to make it less intense (but still effective). On your back, you'll just bring one hand to both knees and open up so you're essentially in the same position as what I linked to.

scottcraft likes this

18 minutes ago, YogaByCandace said:

Frog pose (seen here) is a very intense but effective way to open up the inner thighs. You can also do it on your back to make it less intense (but still effective). On your back, you'll just bring one hand to both knees and open up so you're essentially in the same position as what I linked to.

Thanks Candace, I'll give that a try, both ways too.

Side note, but it wasn't that long ago that I thought men doing the splits was pretty weird, but now I'd like to be able to do that. It's neat how our goals and perspectives change.

yogafire likes this

I have a huge issue with my inner thighs and that's not so good because, well, there's a reason why they say equestrians have "thighs of steel;" we stay on our horses with them and send very subtle clues with our thighs. After my horse lesson, I often cool down with a series of poses that really cool down my legs and back (or I will just hurt.) Along with the frog, I also do cobbler's pose (that one burns), and then I do a basic head-to-knee forward bends on each side and then a variation, where I push my leg I'm stretching out to the side. The variation is more intense, but it was something I was taught in ballet and have always incorporated when I've "stretched." I also push both legs as far as I can to both sides and just lean forwards to get a stretch there and for someone who feels like an old lady sometimes, that one can plain ol' hurt (so I skip it.)

I will say, I often combine this with favorites or things I'm working on like the pigeon (I love my seated pigeons. Ahhhhh, pigeons. I hate the bird, but that pose is one of my favorites), seated forward bend, tree, child's pose, intense shoulder pose that Candace showed (because it just feels so. darn. good), supine twists, downward facing dog, upward facing dog, plank (grrr), ragdoll, corpse (a pose I just can't sink into easily) and a quad exercise my massage therapist has me do because I have notoriously tight quads.

Mix groin (aka those inner thigh) muscles with poses you love. I've noticed groin poses bring out your inner crazy.

scottcraft and Hildegard like this

2 hours ago, KateZena said:

I have a huge issue with my inner thighs and that's not so good because, well, there's a reason why they say equestrians have "thighs of steel;" we stay on our horses with them and send very subtle clues with our thighs. After my horse lesson, I often cool down with a series of poses that really cool down my legs and back (or I will just hurt.) Along with the frog, I also do cobbler's pose (that one burns), and then I do a basic head-to-knee forward bends on each side and then a variation, where I push my leg I'm stretching out to the side. The variation is more intense, but it was something I was taught in ballet and have always incorporated when I've "stretched." I also push both legs as far as I can to both sides and just lean forwards to get a stretch there and for someone who feels like an old lady sometimes, that one can plain ol' hurt (so I skip it.)

I will say, I often combine this with favorites or things I'm working on like the pigeon (I love my seated pigeons. Ahhhhh, pigeons. I hate the bird, but that pose is one of my favorites), seated forward bend, tree, child's pose, intense shoulder pose that Candace showed (because it just feels so. darn. good), supine twists, downward facing dog, upward facing dog, plank (grrr), ragdoll, corpse (a pose I just can't sink into easily) and a quad exercise my massage therapist has me do because I have notoriously tight quads.

Mix groin (aka those inner thigh) muscles with poses you love. I've noticed groin poses bring out your inner crazy.

I'll have to look into cobbler's pose, I don't know what that is. Pushing my legs to the side and leaning forward for a stretch is pretty much a waste of time since I can't do both at the same time. I think with frog pose and cobbler's pose and practice I'll be able to get better.

1 hour ago, scottcraft said:

I'll have to look into cobbler's pose, I don't know what that is. Pushing my legs to the side and leaning forward for a stretch is pretty much a waste of time since I can't do both at the same time. I think with frog pose and cobbler's pose and practice I'll be able to get better.

Cobbler's is sitting with heels together (leaning forward will take a while)

download.jpg

Also sit in Fire Log / Double Pigeon every opportunity you get (If/when I wake up early and I'm laying in bed, I'll do this for ten minutes each side)

5-Fire-Log-Pose.png

Prop a pillow under your knee when you start out

I've done this every day for a year, I'm 58 and started two years ago (completely inflexible) and now can easily do Scale pose (no, that's not me)

Scale-Pose.png

You will too!

scottcraft likes this

@scottcraft If you got Namaslay, the one pose I was talking about (seated wide-leg forward fold) that is on 267. It does have a modified version. I sometimes don't know the names of things as some things I do for flexibility still come from my days as a ballerina where often I don't know if it intersects with yoga. The ankle and toe flexibility and strengthening exercises I do are not found in yoga, from what I know, but are essential to ballet and some ankle exercises are found in horseback riding. Often, I find that when groin muscles hurt most, it's the outer thighs that need stretching, not my groin muscles. Since I quit ballet all those years ago, I haven't been the greatest at keeping my legs all that flexible and strong, especially my feet and ankles (ballet foot exercises...ahhhhhhhhh.) Getting into yoga has helped me remember a lot of the exercises I did in ballet and now I mix and match. 

scottcraft likes this

9 hours ago, scottcraft said:

Thanks for the pictures @LarryD517! So it turns out I have done cobblers pose before! I'll definitely add it to my routines. 

Not exactly sure of the name, but there is a variation of this pose where you keep the heels together, but you have your feet further away from you (legs forming a diamond). Bending forward gets a much deeper stretch in the hips 

scottcraft likes this

Scott, this is the pose Larry is trying to have you do Supta-Kurmasana . That's the full on version, I just like teasing a little because of the suggestion made. Anybody can work on it in steps of course picture. This video has some good prep, always warm up first and take the versions of the poses that are accessible and good for you. The Dead Bug pose is in the video that is a nice one.

scottcraft likes this

4 hours ago, Anahata said:

Scott, this is the pose Larry is trying to have you do Supta-Kurmasana . That's the full on version, I just like teasing a little because of the suggestion made. Anybody can work on it in steps of course picture. This video has some good prep, always warm up first and take the versions of the poses that are accessible and good for you. The Dead Bug pose is in the video that is a nice one.

I clicked that first link and thought human pretzel! Seriously though, thanks for those links!