daedal32

beginner's question

8 posts in this topic

Most are inflexible, so welcome to the club!

You results are normal, it takes time...a lot of time. That being said, when you do stretches, how long do you do them for? I've been doing legs up the wall for a minimum of 3-5 minutes a day, 7 days a week for almost a year...and it's still tough for me to touch my toes with straight leg and straight back. 

Yoga isn't necessarily about achieving goals, but rather learning the proper way to work with your body (and all the limitations) and understand what works best for you. I can sit in lotus, but can't forward fold with a straight back without bending my knees...so you know what I do? I bend my knees! Learn the modifications that will help you work on the various parts of your body that needs help. Accept that this is a lifelong pursuit and enjoy the journey."

If you want to achieve Lotus, practice by spending 5-10 minutes a day in Fire log on each side

5-Fire-Log-Pose.png

A little shameless advertising for our gracious host @YogaByCandace , but I've been reading Namaslay and highly recommend it.  It's perfect for any beginner as well as anyone who used to be a beginner. I think it will help you

Read up on Yin Yoga

Some (most? all?) poses take a while before the body loosens up. As mentioned above, I stay in Legs up the Wall for a few minutes. Don't worry about doing a lot of poses. Try finding a few poses that will work on the area that you are interested in and spend a few minutes in each. Breath slowly and deeply. After a period of time, you'll find the tendons will loosen up. Also, go in gently, if you try to force a stretch, the body will fight you back. 

Trust me, get the book! I promise you'll feel like you got your money's worth

Candace (aka YogaGoddess...LOL) is currently on a national book tour. If you're going to be in one of the cities that she's in, you should try and attend. She's extremely motivational, upbeat and knowledgeable. Once she's back home, she usually chimes in to help in the forums. Me, I'm just an old guy who started two years ago. 

Don't fret being inflexible, that's why you're doing yoga. It will come, in time.

Maybe I'm biased, but this is the best (only) site for yoga!

I thought it may be helpful to add... Remember that every day is different. Try to come to your mat without expectations.

There will be times when you don't see improvement or may even not be able to do something you did before. Practice for the long-term gains, not the short-term.

For example, when I first started practicing yoga, my seated forward bend was technically not a bend at all as I pretty much remained upright. It took "many" years of regular practice to be able to get my head to my knees. I used to hate the dreaded forward bend as my back would scream at me. Now I find it a very relaxing and meditative pose.

Another example: It took me years of practice to be able to wheel. Then, after two years of doing it regularly, all of a sudden I couldn't do it again - for months! Turned out, my shoulders were holding all my stress, which was what was blocking me. An anatomy workshop, which tweaked the position of my hands, and an open attitude helped me get back up. So, sometimes, just a change in perspective is all that's needed.

Persevere with an open heart and it will come.