daedal32

padmasana

4 posts in this topic

How should one begin approaching the lotus asana? I'm asking from a position of great inflexibility. My current daily efforts mostly involve stretching the legs to eventually meditate in the lotus posture. Any advice on this would be helpful.  :D

sigil.jpg

Lotus requires very open and flexible hips. Since I started (two years ago) extremely inflexible and can now do Lotus, I'll tell you what I did to prepare.

When I was laying in bed I would put my legs in FireLog/Double Pigeon for five to ten minutes per side. I would prop the knee with pillows at first, but over time, the knees gradually melted down. I also did a lot of Pigeon and Ankle to Knee.

You could also prep by doing Half Lotus.

After doing these for months, I tried Lotus and was able to do it. Don't be overly aggressive attempting this pose, you could hurt yourself if you're not ready. Ignore this goal for a few months and pay attention to the others. After a while, try it and see. There'a nothing wrong with meditating in Easy Pose. Meditation is all about being comfortable (not looking like the cover of Yoga Journal...LOL)

If you're new to yoga, spend your energy on the beginner poses. It can take a year or two to master some of them. Lotus isn't necessarily a beginner pose

The only hip stretch I do is lying down in a sort of cross-legged posture and letting gravity bring my hips closer to the ground. Do you think there are other stretches I could be doing for the hips?