YogaByCandace

15 Day Namaslay Hip opening Program

4 posts in this topic

OK.  Day 1.  My hips have always been soooooo tight.  As a runner, it's the bane of my existence.  I know I need to work on hip flexibility to deepen my yoga practice.  However....... I just don't ever make myself do it.  This challenge is perfect for me, because I need the kick in the butt to just do it.  I realized tonight while doing the 30 minute hip opening video that I've been avoiding this for another, more mental reason too.  As I was working through the fire log pose, I suddenly found myself on the edge of panic.  I kept with it in the pose and breathed deeply into my tight hip with the knee of the leg on top nowhere near the ankle below it.  I wanted to bail so badly.  Panic for what?  I have no idea, but it was indeed panic.  I am interested to see if the program helps me to work through this and dissipate it.....and if anxiety is stored in my hips.  We are so complex....and yoga gives us nowhere to hide from ourselves.  Thank you, Candace, for helping me to look in the mirror.  

On 11/15/2016 at 9:08 PM, Lorelei said:

... My hips have always been soooooo tight.  ...As I was working through the fire log pose, I suddenly found myself on the edge of panic.  I kept with it in the pose and breathed deeply into my tight hip with the knee of the leg on top nowhere near the ankle below it  ...

Remarkably, while I'm largely inflexible, I have pretty good flexibility in my hips. How? I do fire log for ten to twenty minutes a day, every day, when I'm laying in bed reading. When the knee and ankle don't meet, just smash a pillow into the gap. Relax and ignore the sensation, breath deeply and start reading (ignore the hips). After a few minutes gravity and relaxation will "do their thing" and then your knee will move lower. Also, learn to love pigeon. Do it for a few minutes on each side. It's only annoying for the first minute, afterwards you'll enjoy it.