Breathe

Balancing Teaching and Own Practice

6 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on balancing teaching and one's own practice. I'm a new teacher and have just started offering classes. I love sharing my passion for yoga with others and, even though my classes are small, I find it beautiful to see my students in each pose... A whole new perspective! However, I'm finding it to be a lot of hard work to prepare for classes and promote them. And, while I still practice myself fairly regularly - usually testing out my class sequences and timing - I find I'm missing just being a student. I'm miss going to the studio and just doing what I'm told - getting lost in myself and in my own practice... or when practicing at home, just doing whatever comes natural and paying attention to what my body is asking for that day.

Maybe it's just because teaching is new for me and a better balance will come in time?

YogaByCandace likes this

Teaching does take away from what we are used to doing without teaching. But I have found teaching also advances our own practice in different ways. Some other good benefits as well. So that is a really good part. I think the trick is to find the balance and everyone is different. I only teach one class per week for this reason. I have other reasons outside of yoga that I only teach once per week but even if they weren't in the way I would still only teach once.

Now give us a real shock and tell us the weather at your location. "It's really nice out today. It's only 300 below zero.":)

Breathe and YogaByCandace like this

LOL - it's only -23 degrees Celsius here at present. It's supposed to warm up to -16, which means with the milder temperatures comes more snow.

Thanks for the tip. As a very organized person, I think I'm having a hard time getting a good schedule nailed down - which is leaving me feel a tad unbalanced.

YogaByCandace likes this

It is a balance between teaching and your personal practice....I find I do better if I do take at least on class each week at the studio.   A couple of reasons, it takes me out of my teacher brain, connects me with other students, and lets me observe and go deeper....

YogaByCandace and Breathe like this

I couldn't agree more - it is tough to find balance between being a teacher and being a student. I try to take classes at least once a week, and I try to do my own practice daily, even if it's just a few minutes per day. My own personal practice is very different from what I teach. Sometimes I share it on instagram, and people have asked for tutorials but I have had to draw the line and just say no. I didn't want my own personal practice to start being "work" for me, and I don't want to start doing my own practice with this idea in the back of my head that I need to really design it ahead of time so I can teach it, do you know what I mean? So my advice would be to set boundaries, go easy on yourself, and try to get to a studio to be a student in a class every once in a while or more. :) 

Breathe likes this

This is something I struggle with too.  I find that my teaching is better when I maintain a regular practice that involves taking classes.  I'm not saying that I achieve this goal regularly, but strive to do it.  I have been going back to the studio where I did my wonderful teacher training lately, and I've found that I teach better and that I feel better when I get there at least once a week.  It's a goal to work toward for me.

Breathe likes this