Reggi

Ever Been To India?

10 posts in this topic

I'm going to India next year in February. Have anybody been there before? Anything I should definitely do/not do? Any tips??

Citys I will go: New Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Cochin, Munnar, Kumarakom, Mararikulam

I´m so excited for this trip. It´s a group of 20 people and we will go there with a native who lives in our hometown.

That is AWESOME, you will have a blast! Here is my India recap. I'm actually super excited to hear your reaction to the driving especially being that you're German! (For everyone else, in case you didn't know, Germans are exceptionally good drivers. The process of getting your license in Germany is so, so different from the US. Not only is the exam crazy difficult (you need to be able to identify parts under the hood & more I believe), but it's also crazy expensive! The end result is excellent drivers who, for the most part, obey the rules, making the Autobahn (the German highway we hear about in the US that doesn't have a speed limit) the safest road I've ever driven on. Ha! Can't wait to hear your reaction, Reggi, to the way people drive in India. #holdontight #thoughtiwasgonnadie #organizedchaos #thisisnttwitterwhatamidoing  :D

juliewa, notlulamae, Reggi and 1 other like this

How cool!! It sound like such an experience, best of luck and when you get back please share your stories ,would love to read about India , ive never been there but definetly in my bucket list :)

Reggi likes this

Ah I love India! I've traveled to south India twice on a college service trip; we learned about Indian culture and religion in Chennai, went to learn about what the Jesuits are doing to help the Dalit or Untouchable people in a very small village (it's not even on Google maps so I can never find it haha) and then went to Pondicherry (if you get a chance to go, definitely check out Mahabalipuram!). I'm so jealous you get to go to what people call the golden triangle of India: Delhi, Jaipur and Agra. It looks like you'll be mostly in north India, so maybe you could also visit the Golden Temple (Harmandir Sahib) in Amritsar.

I have a couple of tips:

1. Talk to your doctor about medical precautions. You should ask for anti-malaria medications and check to make sure that you're vaccinated for Hepatitis A and B, yellow fever and other preventable diseases.

2. Try not to drink anything with ice in it. If you go to a restaurant, ask for bottled water. We always did this to make sure our water was clean.

3. If you know you'll be visiting temples, pack a few pieces that cover you up a bit more (covered shoulders and knees are usually a good bet). Some places, like Sikh temples, will require you to cover your head before going in; you can bring a scarf in case but they will also probably provide some to borrow at the temple.

4. Also, when you visit temples, it's best to ask if you are allowed to take pictures. Some temples we visited were fine with pictures, some encouraged it while others completely forbid it.

Hmmm, that's all I can think of for right now. But please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions I could possibly answer for you! =)

That is AWESOME, you will have a blast! Here is my India recap. I'm actually super excited to hear your reaction to the driving especially being that you're German! (For everyone else, in case you didn't know, Germans are exceptionally good drivers. The process of getting your license in Germany is so, so different from the US. Not only is the exam crazy difficult (you need to be able to identify parts under the hood & more I believe), but it's also crazy expensive! The end result is excellent drivers who, for the most part, obey the rules, making the Autobahn (the German highway we hear about in the US that doesn't have a speed limit) the safest road I've ever driven on. Ha! Can't wait to hear your reaction, Reggi, to the way people drive in India. #holdontight #thoughtiwasgonnadie #organizedchaos #thisisnttwitterwhatamidoing  :D

Funny story about driving in India: while in the village, we would stay with the Jesuits and they would usually drive us around to various places. There was one time when our driver (who is a really kind and funny priest) actually entered the highway on the wrong side of the road. YEP, there were definitely cars and trucks coming at us! But he managed to get us back on the right side of the road in no time, so it was fine haha!

Reggi, Yogabliss and notlulamae like this

How cool!! It sound like such an experience, best of luck and when you get back please share your stories ,would love to read about India , ive never been there but definetly in my bucket list :)

Ah I love India! I've traveled to south India twice on a college service trip; we learned about Indian culture and religion in Chennai, went to learn about what the Jesuits are doing to help the Dalit or Untouchable people in a very small village (it's not even on Google maps so I can never find it haha) and then went to Pondicherry (if you get a chance to go, definitely check out Mahabalipuram!). I'm so jealous you get to go to what people call the golden triangle of India: Delhi, Jaipur and Agra. It looks like you'll be mostly in north India, so maybe you could also visit the Golden Temple (Harmandir Sahib) in Amritsar.

I have a couple of tips:

1. Talk to your doctor about medical precautions. You should ask for anti-malaria medications and check to make sure that you're vaccinated for Hepatitis A and B, yellow fever and other preventable diseases.

2. Try not to drink anything with ice in it. If you go to a restaurant, ask for bottled water. We always did this to make sure our water was clean.

3. If you know you'll be visiting temples, pack a few pieces that cover you up a bit more (covered shoulders and knees are usually a good bet). Some places, like Sikh temples, will require you to cover your head before going in; you can bring a scarf in case but they will also probably provide some to borrow at the temple.

4. Also, when you visit temples, it's best to ask if you are allowed to take pictures. Some temples we visited were fine with pictures, some encouraged it while others completely forbid it.

Hmmm, that's all I can think of for right now. But please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions I could possibly answer for you! =)

Funny story about driving in India: while in the village, we would stay with the Jesuits and they would usually drive us around to various places. There was one time when our driver (who is a really kind and funny priest) actually entered the highway on the wrong side of the road. YEP, there were definitely cars and trucks coming at us! But he managed to get us back on the right side of the road in no time, so it was fine haha!

Hey together! Thank you for your kind words. I´m really excited. Can´t believe, just one day and the trip will start. Vaccinations are checked and all adventurous arrangements are done. First we will go to the north (Delhi, Agra, Jaipur) then to the North around Cochin/Kerala.

I will tell you abou everthing after my return.

See you!

Meugenio likes this

Hi… I´m back! Almost 10 days have left, but it still feels unreal to be here in Germany although I am in my familiar surroundings. India was so fantastic, words cannot describe. I´m so grateful for this experience. Our trip started in Düsseldorf via Dubai to Delhi. There we directly started and visited a Sikh temple and Gandhi memorial. After that we drove about 6 hours to Agra. The guide advertised the new “Autobahn”. Ha, ha it was really rolling but totally ok. We all were so tired from the flight that we in spite of it all immediately felt asleep. After the first night in the hotel, the day started wonderfully. We visited Taj Mahal. We walked around for a while and could explore the area around. It was very impressive and we took wonderful pictures. On that day we also viewed Agra Fort bevor we go further to Jaipur. Next day in Jaipur we saw Palace of the Winds and then we took a ride on an elephant to Fort Amber. (I have to say that I didn´t felt well about the elephants.) Also on that day we visited City Palace of the Maharajas with historical astronomical observatory. The next day we had to get up very early to take the flight to Cochin in Kerala (via Mumbai). After a next long day of traveling we arrived to Carmelites priory in Paravoor. This was our stay for the next 4 days. The fathers and students there were so kind to us. It was awfully nice there. We meet the families and friends of the fathers and visited some schools, students and other families. It was so great to meet this entire people. They were all so kind and grateful. We also did a trip on a fisherman boat, went to a beautiful waterfall and attended to a Hindu festival with elephants and look at a lot of churches. It was a really good time. For the next two days we drove to Munnar. It´s situated at around 1,600 metres above sea level in the southwestern Indian state of Kerala. There are kilometers of tea plantations. We took a walk through the plantations and climb the hill across the jungle.  Also we visited a tea museum and factory. I bought a lot of tea there. Next stop was Kumarakom. We did a stunning trip on a gorgeous houseboat on the backwaters. It was about 6 hours and very relaxing. The next hotel was close to a fabulous beach in Mararikulam. The last day we spend for some shopping. After that we drove back to Cochin/Paravoor.  There we had a stunning goodbye-dinner in the priory. I´ve learned so much about India, but there is still so much more to see and learn. So many varieties there! I definitely have to go back at one time.

:13: :13: :13:  India

:) Reggi

It seems like you all have had good experiences in India.  I'm most worried about the safety / health aspect of india, and the overall culture shock. Even though I'm indian I'm totally westernized and I feel that India would be an overwhelming experience for me. Can anyone address these concerns I have?  I can't imagine going to a place where I can get sick so easily and not be able to drink the water :(.

YogaByCandace likes this

Ah, so jealous! I'm hoping to go back and visit in the near future!

Me too, still dreaming of India :)

On 1 March 2015 at 15:20:21, YogiRishi said:

It seems like you all have had good experiences in India.  I'm most worried about the safety / health aspect of india, and the overall culture shock. Even though I'm indian I'm totally westernized and I feel that India would be an overwhelming experience for me. Can anyone address these concerns I have?  I can't imagine going to a place where I can get sick so easily and not be able to drink the water :(.

Hi, I hope you've managed to make a trip there since you wrote your concerns. If not: firstly, there is the BRATT diet - Bananas (peel able, and therefore unlikely to cause you a tummy upset; Rice (fresh, hot and steaming = good for your tummy); Apples -( peel them - don't eat the skin of fruit); Toast (cooked-fine; better than just bread); Tea (boiled so all the germs are dead). If food falls into any one of these categories, eat away! 

Secondly, go experience it! If you go in with an open mind and no expectations, you can't fail! There's so much to see and do and they cater to all budgets and styles, so if you want luxury and cleanliness in India go hang out at the Four Seasons or the Leela or any number of places. 

Please let us know if you go and how you felt about it!

YogaByCandace likes this