Madison

Crow pose troubleshooting

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some advice on executing crow pose properly.

I'm at an intermediate-ish level with yoga, and I have great flexibility but I'm working on my strength. I know core strength is essential for crow pose, but I just can't seem to do it correctly even keeping that in mind. I can do a modified sort of crow pose--knees on the outside of my arms--perfectly fine. But the second I attempt to do it correctly--knees up on the back of my arms, as high as possible--the pressure from my knees on the arms leaves me with huge bruises and it hurts too much to hold.

Is this an issue of core strength?

Thanks so much for any help!

Madison

YogaByCandace likes this

I'm working on crow, and not there yet, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think you might want to focus on lifting your hips to the sky (like in downward dog). I can't do it, so I'm not sure if this is right, but if your core is pulling your hips and legs up, there might be less pressure on your triceps. 

YogaByCandace likes this

Yep Larry is right - you want to think about 'perching' your legs instead of 'resting' the weight of the lower body on your arms. It'll come with time and lots of practice. If it's any consolation, I also started out with huge bruises on my arms as I practiced. Just keep on building that strength, keep practicing, and as they say: all is coming.

Madison and LarryD517 like this

1 hour ago, YogaByCandace said:

Yep Larry is right - you want to think about 'perching' your legs ..

On 12/4/2016 at 5:44 AM, LarryD517 said:

... you might want to focus on lifting your hips to the sky (like in downward dog)....

You see, @YogaByCandace...I was listening at your workshop and remembered your wonderful advice!!

Madison and YogaByCandace like this

Thank you both for your advice! I'll keep the tips in mind next time I work on crow pose. I'm glad I'm not the only one with the bruises issue!