PeterD1993

Alcohol and Ahimsa

10 posts in this topic

We live in world where many societies encourage the consumption of alcoholic beverages as a social lubricant. But alcohol, being both a hepatoxin and a neurotoxin, causes harm to the body.  So I am wondering what other yogis think about this subject.

YogaByCandace likes this

I think it's a personal choice. I've decided - who am I to say what is right or what is wrong for someone else? I rarely drink (I just don't like how it makes me feel), but we all "sin" in different ways :) 

Breathe likes this

I'm not much of a drinker and don't really understand the attraction to drinking, but each person has their own vices, I guess. You have to do what feels right for you.

YogaByCandace likes this

I'm in college, so I'm allowing myself to have my time drinking, lol. But I don't really drink often and I try to pamper my body afterwards. I don't imagine I will drink often once I graduate in May. 

YogaByCandace likes this

I probably drink a lot of alcohol by anyone's standards. I use it as a social lubricant and as an actual lubricant. I'm aware it is pretty terrible for your health, but it makes life so much more fun. It is part of the culture where I come from, and has been responsible for so many of the best memories of my life that I don't think I'll ever end my love affair with it. 

Alcohol - because no great story ever started with a salad.

YogaByCandace and LauraJane like this

Right on I can relate.  Drinking in college is practically unavoidable. I just found this trend called 'beer yoga'...  I find it hilarious and if I didn't get sober I would definitely be willing to participate.  However, I also find it somewhat dissapointing and even a bit frightening actually.  For example, imagine someone chugging a beer while in eagle pose and then balancing the empty bottle on his or her head..  I mean, I don't know.  What do you guys think of the 'beer yoga' trend?  

I was actually thinking of offering a free delicious organic beer with a new yoga class I hope to start...I particularly hope to get men to come along and in particular guys/armed forces veterans who suffer from PTSD....but anyone who would like to attend would be most welcome... its just that I can relate to the suffering of these guys and i'd like more men to experience yoga with everyone else. Now I thought maybe the beer would attract people who maybe were borderline at attending yoga......with some reflection I also thought that perhaps the state of calm or almost non thinking( with excessive consumption) is a bit like trying to achieve this through meditation no?? but with meditation we do it in a safer more conscious way??...

.I'd be interested to hear what other think and I hope I haven't offended anyone..

.oh! as for alcohol consumption! as long as its not excessive on a regular basis, or, beyond safe limits I'm fine with it...beating oneself up about the occasional drink must be very damaging to a persons psyche..I see people do this self harm by beating themselves up about food all the time and its so negative. If someone offers you a beer and a delicious cake with love I say accept it with gratitude and love and let it nourish your soul!!...actually i use that rule with most things..so important to remember ahimsa as it relates to our concept of our individual reality and "self" :) 

On 1/1/2017 at 2:02 PM, PeterD1993 said:

We live in world where many societies encourage the consumption of alcoholic beverages as a social lubricant. But alcohol, being both a hepatoxin and a neurotoxin, causes harm to the body.  So I am wondering what other yogis think about this subject.

It comes down to personal preference in my opinion. I find alcohol can lead to certain dependencies and uncomfortabilities.

In this day and age, it's extremely difficult to be aware of where every good or service that you are using is produced and whether or not it was created in a cruelty free way. Many chocolate bars contain cocoa picked by orphaned children in Africa. Forever21 and many other "fast fashion" companies make a profit by producing their garments in sweat shops over seas. I'm a vegan, and I try to be as cruelty free as possible, but at the end of the day, ahimsa refers to living a conscious life. If to you, that means not drinking alcohol, then that's great, but like all pearls of wisdom, it's not meant to be taken to any debilitating extremes. 

The more you get yourself involved into yoga (mindfully), the more you find ways to be conscious. Its natural process.

At any point of time if you still need alcohol that means you are very far from yoga. There is no point stopping drinking forcefully.