Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jessicapeaches

teacher training for people who DONT want to teach!

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I am looking at doing an intensive teacher training this year but... I don't know that I really even WANT to teach. What I want is a month of intensive learning, but more than just a yoga retreat. I want the knowledge that comes from teacher training, but I don't want to spend time on learning how to manage a class or how land a job ect.

Any recommendations of where I can just get deep into yoga for a month? I love Vinyasa flow but I'm fairly open. I don't think Mysore is my style and I'm on a budget anyway so going to India is pretty unlikely! 

Or, is it worth doing teacher training for the yoga knowledge anyway and the "teacher" knowledge is just a bonus?

Right now I'm looking at doing my training with Meghan Currie, I hear that her training is great even for those not looking to teach! But wanted to see if anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks!!

YogaByCandace likes this

It depends which one. Anybody can hang a sign on the door 'teacher training'. There's a heck of a lot of them that are money grab scams. Just because it's in India or anywhere doesn't mean it's good either. Not all are like that. Get to know the person(s) that are doing the training. See if you like them first. That's one of the best ways. Something one person thinks is great another may think is terrible.

YogaByCandace likes this

Meghan Currie is one of the most incredible teachers I've ever had the privilege of practicing with. Her yin workshops are deeply healing. Her vinyasa classes are incredibly advanced and will shake you to your core. I've not done a teacher training with her, so I can't speak to that, but I've done intensive long weekend workshops with her and found them to be wonderful for self-care, although I wouldn't say I learned much technical stuff (anatomy, physiology, yogic text/history), but then again that wasn't the point. She is truly an artist, and the things she teaches are from the heart, and that, too, is important. I think the biggest thing I learned from her was how to really tap into myself and gain a sense of total body and breath awareness, if that makes sense. 

I think it might be important to get clear on what you'd like to get out of the training. Are you interested in the history of yoga? Anatomy? Physiology? Are you looking for a deeper connection with yourself and advancing your practice? Does it need to be an intensive training? Might you be interested in one of those year long trainings that take place nearly every weekend? That way you could skip weekend dedicated to the how to's of teaching a class. Kripalu offers a well rounded yoga teacher training program and intensive studies. 

Hope that's somewhat helpful! :)