Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrsjoe24

Wrists

4 posts in this topic

I've recently started learning the basic skills for Roller Derby. I've found even with upgrading my wrist guards that I easily injure my wrists when I fall. I finally got one wrist healed up and went and landed weird on the other and did the exact same injury to the other wrist. 

Tips for exercises/stretches to help strengthen wrists?

Don't know much about roller derby but do know about wrists. You could be looking at some serious carpal tunnel if you don't protect your wrists. I have severe carpal tunnel from lifting at work but through yoga it has helped greatly. First off if you can place your hand in the praying position and gently apply pressure. This should help with the pain. Turning your wrists In a circular motion will also help. But you really should use wrist guards while skating.

If you plan on making roller derby a regular activity, you should seriously consider getting custom made wrist guards and see if you can get them extended past the wrist with comfortable palm support. Or, really research the guards available. As far as I know, you don't have to use roller derby wrist guards in roller derby. I have heard people using those used in boxing or karate, which extend past the wrist and are more flexible in the palm.

I would suggest seeing a physical therapist because they would know best for your situation. The wrist is a very delicate, yet important set of bones. I was given ice therapy and an insane set of exercises to strengthen and lengthen them (and those exercises hurt like a you-know-what.) You may be given something else. You don't want to do exercises like mine if you may have something different.

Planks/push ups on your knuckles are good for strengthening the fine motor muslces around your wrist.