Smackey888

Ribs - ouch.

5 posts in this topic

Hi - would appreciate any insight.  I've recently gotten back into classes. Consider myself semi-fit - (amateur mountain bike racing, cyclist, runner, strength training).  49 years old.  After 8 mixed level yoga classes my bottom right side rib cage is so tender & sore!!!   Can't remember anything specific happening during class and it doesn't stop me from practicing.  Once it gets warmed up I'm ok.  Anyone know what might be going on?  

Could it be muscle soreness in your transverse abdominals, or somewhere else if you were working on core? My DOMS there can last up to 3 days sometimes!

I don't think it's a muscle strain if it goes away after warming up, but make sure not to keep pushing it if it's still there after a week.

:(  Could be a strain then? Does it subside if you lower your ribs (make sure they aren't "popping" out)?  This tip helped me when I strained my lower back only on one side. This tip helped me realigned my torso so I would avoid restraining the same area. Not sure what else may be going on, but good luck in figuring it out!

Maybe you are using an incorrect muscle or muscle group during some of your poses or transitions. I recently hurt my shoulder and I think it was from using the small shoulder muscles instead of the larger muscles in my back... not paying close enough attention. Try to recognize what muscles you are engaging as you move through your practice. You might discover an instance where you are using the wrong muscles and that's what leading to the tenderness and soreness.