Muniko

Yoga for Tight Thighs?

6 posts in this topic

I tried using the search function to find a similar topic regarding thigh muscles, but came up empty handed, sorry if this is a re-post.

So it was recently pointed out to my that most of my back issues and inability to stretch out my hamstrings might be coming from the fact that the front muscle of my thighs is ridiculously tight. I was wondering if anyone knew good yoga poses or stretches to do that do not require a lot of equipment. The most effective one I've found is to put one leg on a bench press machine and then rest the back of my foot on the bar because it can stretch the entire muscle up through my ribcage. However, I don't always have access to a bench press machine or the weights it requires to make me tall enough for this to be effective.

Any suggestions?

I do 'legs up the wall' for five minutes a day, every day. Hopefully you'll have access to a wall (LOL)

I had to laugh at this because this is one of the things I continue to struggle with even though I stretch every day, get a deep tissue massage every other week, do yoga and am an equestrian. Exercises 1-3 (especially #1. Lots of #1) in the link @Anahata linked is exactly what my massage therapist makes me do, especially after riding lessons. Along with Cobbler's Pose, Pigeon Pose, and planks (esp. planks on an exercise ball) as basics. I have an exercise ball that allows me to sit and type so I actually sit at my computer, on an exercise ball, and type too just to strengthen my core and back.

The difficulty with working with something like the hamstrings is you cannot just work on your hamstrings as your hamstrings go into your lower back. In order to release them, you have to work on strengthening your core (ugh), lengthening and strengthening the quads in front, groin muscles, hip flexors....basically, you need to strengthen and lengthen the core/lower back and your upper thighs/hips. The systems support each other.

I'm finally able to touch the ground with my fingertips - almost two years later. It takes a lot of time to get to working everything out in a multi-system way. Keep plucking along and you get there in time...without fancy machines. Just yourself and maybe an exercise ball if you're feeling courageous.

On 1/8/2017 at 5:49 AM, Anahata said:

I don't understand what stretch you are doing with the bench press machine. Does this look helpful hip flexor link.

Yes it is exactly that one, except the way my coach has instructed me to do it helps prevent me from arching my back.

On 1/15/2017 at 4:32 AM, KateZena said:

I had to laugh at this because this is one of the things I continue to struggle with even though I stretch every day, get a deep tissue massage every other week, do yoga and am an equestrian. Exercises 1-3 (especially #1. Lots of #1) in the link @Anahata linked is exactly what my massage therapist makes me do, especially after riding lessons. Along with Cobbler's Pose, Pigeon Pose, and planks (esp. planks on an exercise ball) as basics. I have an exercise ball that allows me to sit and type so I actually sit at my computer, on an exercise ball, and type too just to strengthen my core and back.

The difficulty with working with something like the hamstrings is you cannot just work on your hamstrings as your hamstrings go into your lower back. In order to release them, you have to work on strengthening your core (ugh), lengthening and strengthening the quads in front, groin muscles, hip flexors....basically, you need to strengthen and lengthen the core/lower back and your upper thighs/hips. The systems support each other.

I'm finally able to touch the ground with my fingertips - almost two years later. It takes a lot of time to get to working everything out in a multi-system way. Keep plucking along and you get there in time...without fancy machines. Just yourself and maybe an exercise ball if you're feeling courageous.

I know this is the worst, I can touch my toes, but I rarely do it unless I'm instructing dance students because it makes the back of my legs feel uncomfortably tight and slightly painful. I was worried someone would tell me I need core strength, I had some stomach muscles cut due to a surgery and I was pretty sure that might have helped encourage this problem. I will take all your advice and add it to my daily practice.

I will also try the wall part, but against a door because I realize now I have very little free wall space.

@Muniko When did you get your stomach muscles cut? If they are still painful or uncomfortable, your muscles may have healed improperly. One of the things doctors worried about when I had hip surgery as a child was that happening or excessive scar tissue build up, which was why getting me mobile, but in a safe and orderly way was important. If it's limiting your mobility, you may want to go back to your doctor (kudos if you can get back in with that surgeon because he/she will know what they are looking at) and have it looked at. You may just need a referral to a physiotherapist or perhaps need therapeutic (deep pressure) massage or myofascial release therapy to put your muscles and fascia out of their funk.