Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YogaByCandace

Funniest Thing To Happen To You While Teaching?

11 posts in this topic

I used to go around with essential oil on my hands while students were in savasana. I'd adjust them  and then put my hands maybe a foot from their faces for a sec so they could breathe in the scent of the oil. I had told the students I would be doing this (and to let me know if they didn't want me to), and one woman had forgotten because she opened her eyes when my hands were above her head and screamed!  :lol:

yogagrammy and YogiRishi like this

I often bring my step-son with me to class, he's 10. Sometimes, he falls asleep during class....he also often shouts in his sleep.

One day during savasana, he had fallen asleep and shouted No! No! No! 

It shook everyone up a bit and I had to explain at the closing of class what happened.

So I do not know why this just popped into my head a few years later, and it is kind of late on this thread but I have to post.

I had a woman who did not like my music and asked me turn it down.  I turned it down like one notch to appease her (the volume was ALWAYS set at the same number, all teachers used it at that volume, and we all had very similar styles of playlists).  A few minutes later she went and got paper towels twisted them up and shoved them in her ears.  She then proceeded to follow along in class until the last 20min when she did something completely different.  I am all for modifying for yourself but it was completely different and very distracting (taking wide legged forward fold and her feet were almost on others mats)

It was so weird.  I understand that music choices are different for everyone (and that some people hate it), but I am of the belief that you go through a class and just don't go back if it wasn't the class for you.  Sometimes it can teach you a lesson about tuning out distractions.  

BUT she came back a month later....   no towel ear plugs, no changes in my music or volume...

The first post made me laugh haha.  The first time I did crow I was in a class of all girls and I thought I could impress everyone by doing crow. I hadn't practiced it before and I fell straight on my face. :lol:   Someone next to me got out of her pose to make sure I was fine.

From that point I learned to leave my ego at the door and worry only about myself. I still laugh about it now :)  I often do fall out of other balance poses sometimes however it's not as embarrassing as it was as the first time :P

Similar to Candace's story above, I was holding my hands about a foot over someone's head with essential oils on my hands during savasana and THEY SNEEZED!  ALL OVER MY HANDS!

It was totally gross, but also kind of funny - I had a hard time not bursting out laughing!  They felt terrible and instead of continuing around the room I snuck out to the bathroom to wash my hands!

I used to go around with essential oil on my hands while students were in savasana. ...

The first time that happened, I wasn't sure if the instructor was hitting on me!

If you advertised that you do this, I'm sure you'd sell out your retreats....I guarantee you that I'll attend if I know you'll do this!