Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MaryKay

Carrying Your Mat?

16 posts in this topic

I just bought a Manduka Pro Black Magic.

Thoughts on how to carry it ~

Do you have a bag or do you use straps?

The Manduka is so much thicker than my previous mat that I'm not sure what will work.

Thoughts?

Oak likes this

I got the manduka caring strap, but it also has like a little pouch so I can keep my keys and phone in there and the buckles on the straps are adjustable so it is very easy to put the around the mat

MaryKay likes this

I was using a double strap, if that makes sense.

I broke down and bought bags for my girlfriend and I. I was carrying my mat back and forth multiple times a week. Sometimes I'd leave it at the studio which I frequented the most but at the time I only had one mat. I now have two mats.

I bought my cheapy yoga bag from YogaAccessories.com. It's also where I bought the double strap carrier. I broke down and bought a bag because one of the straps came out of the clip and it continues to do this. *sigh* It was only a few bucks so it isn't a huge deal but I'm hoping this will be my last order from this site. I'm tired of paying for shipping. Lol.

I have only gone to a couple of workshops and a handful of studio classes. I have a bag that unzips on the bottom for the mat and at the top for everything else. I used the bag for the workshops so I could bring a change of clothing and water bottle and such but to the regular class I used a strap. I have to use a thinner mat with the bag because my vernice vita memory foam mat is too big.  :43:

I have got the manduka "go steady bag". It´s very usefull because it has two pockets... one for the mat and one for keys, phone, water etc.

I like it a lot. Disadvantage is the big price.

MaryKay likes this

I have a lululemon bag but my black mat doesn't fit in it because it's so thick, so I generally leave my black mat at home since it's so heavy anyway, and carry one of my other ones if I'm going to a class at a studio. That likely doesn't help you, though, haha. Maybe consider the carrying strap or buy a bag directly from manduka so you know it'll fit? 

MaryKay likes this

I bought a bag that swings over my shoulder from etsy with a cute fabric pattern that the creator bought from Hawaii.  So if you want something unique, you can check it out there. Or if you have a thick mat, you can probably request a designer you like to make a custom bag for you, and add super durable stitching so the strap can carry the weight.  

The only issue is that you can't really test beforehand, and I found out with my sticky mat, it was hard to slide it inside one bag that had no lining (was a textured underside) due to friction, but then it slid in more easily when I got a second bag that was lined with smooth fabric.

MaryKay likes this

I don't have a Manduka mat but I have older version of this bag from Hugger Mugger and I find it very roomy.  I'm able to fit my mat and a couple towels in there.  I'm not sure how much bigger the manduka is but it might be worth trying.

MaryKay likes this

I am currently using just a vented yoga mat bag that I wear over my shoulder and my bag just about fits in it. However, I am considering buying either the manduka go steady or go lite as they are weather resistant and have pockets for extra things. I found that a lot of yoga mat bags are made of cotton and that is useless when living in rainy Ireland!

MaryKay likes this

I got the manduka caring strap, but it also has like a little pouch so I can keep my keys and phone in there and the buckles on the straps are adjustable so it is very easy to put the around the mat

Is it the Go Play Yoga Mat Sling?  if I could figure how to put up a picture, I would.

I have got the manduka "go steady bag". It´s very usefull because it has two pockets... one for the mat and one for keys, phone, water etc.

I like it a lot. Disadvantage is the big price.

I found it for $50 on the Manduka site and $42.95 on another site.

The less expensive one actually has 2 zippers on top. I can't tell on the Manduka site. They don't give that view.

You really like it?

I have a lululemon bag but my black mat doesn't fit in it because it's so thick, so I generally leave my black mat at home since it's so heavy anyway, and carry one of my other ones if I'm going to a class at a studio. That likely doesn't help you, though, haha. Maybe consider the carrying strap or buy a bag directly from manduka so you know it'll fit? 

I can't believe how heavy the black mat is!! As much as I love its larger size, it may have to be my 'stay at home' mat. It's so new that it's also still slippery and not nearly as cushy as my wai lana mat.

I bought a bag that swings over my shoulder from etsy with a cute fabric pattern that the creator bought from Hawaii.  So if you want something unique, you can check it out there. Or if you have a thick mat, you can probably request a designer you like to make a custom bag for you, and add super durable stitching so the strap can carry the weight.  

The only issue is that you can't really test beforehand, and I found out with my sticky mat, it was hard to slide it inside one bag that had no lining (was a textured underside) due to friction, but then it slid in more easily when I got a second bag that was lined with smooth fabric.

I didn't think of that!! Thanks!

I am currently using just a vented yoga mat bag that I wear over my shoulder and my bag just about fits in it. However, I am considering buying either the manduka go steady or go lite as they are weather resistant and have pockets for extra things. I found that a lot of yoga mat bags are made of cotton and that is useless when living in rainy Ireland!

Vented is important!!

Is it the Go Play Yoga Mat Sling?  if I could figure how to put up a picture, I would.

Hi Mary Kay

I got the Go Play by Manduka, :)