Sbudsky

Rude for pregnant lady to attend regular classes?

6 posts in this topic

I'm currently 8 months pregnant and, for the past few months,  yoga has been my saving grace as it has helped to calm me and allowed me to stay active. Having now done a lot of prenatal yoga, I have a good awareness of what modifications I need to make and also how to listen to my body. And knock on wood, so far I've continued to stay pretty fit and healthy.

For a variety of reasons (scheduling, just to have some variety, or to be able to attend with friends), I would still like to try to go to non-prenatal beginners or open level classes from time to time over the next two months until my due date. I always explain to the teachers beforehand that I'm able to modify on my own and happy to just do what I can. 

Inevitably during class, though, they always seem to make a point of announcing at several points that they are changing their plan on my behalf. I think they're just trying to be thoughtful and accommodating, but it makes me uncomfortable. It seems like my presence is a disruption and, I imagine, irritating to other students who may feel cheated out of their twists and inversions.

I'm curious to hear what others, especially teachers, think. Am I violating yoga etiquette rules by attending these normal classes while l'm (very) pregnant? Is there a different way to approach this with the teachers?

YogaByCandace likes this

The teacher should not have changed the class specifically for one person. Always give options for everyone. If you told the teacher ahead of time you know how to practice for yourself and the teacher changes the class that is kind of crappy mistake from the teacher. Maybe tell the teacher changing the class makes you feel uncomfortable. It also messes up the class for the others so it doesn't work out for anybody.

Yoga is for everybody, every body, see the little thing below.

yogafire and YogaByCandace like this

Thanks, Anahata. I appreciate the feedback. Curious to hear if others agree.

My pov is that coming to class pregnant isn't actually different from any other physical issue or difference, like having an injury or being full figured. Seems like having a pregnant person there just makes people nervous because of liability or something. I'll try talking to the teacher to see if that helps. 

YogaByCandace and yogafire like this

I agree with both of you.  As a student, I've noticed that if a pregnant woman comes to class, she just sits in a forward fold or something else when we do abdominals or twists (as suggested by the teacher or done on her own).  If anything, I think the pregnant woman looked a little more annoyed that she couldn't do what the rest of the class was doing, but that is probably not due to the class itself. I find it odd that it was announced that the class was changed because of you when you already gave her notification beforehand! I hope talking to the teacher helps. Great job on staying active the whole time!

YogaByCandace likes this

Thanks for the feedback, yogafire! The strange thing is that this has actually happened with more than one instructor. If there are any yoga teachers out there, I would be really interested to hear your thoughts! 

YogaByCandace likes this

I definitely think it's a liability thing. It was hammered into our heads during teacher training that we shouldn't allow pregnant women come to class because of the liability, given that we were not teaching prenatal yoga, nor were any of us trained in it. That being said, if you had come to my class and said that you are an experienced student and know what to do to modify, and to please not change the class on your behalf, I would've let you stay and done as you wished. I think it's just a matter of that extra bit of dialogue needing to happen - as yoga teachers in the US I think we are just concerned with not getting sued.... It's one thing is a pregnant woman who has never practiced yoga before shows up and wants to do everything - that would make me extremely uncomfortable in terms of my own liability, but if she is an experienced yoga student and knows how to modify and can just do her own thing when are in poses that aren't right for her, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.