Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bitsy

Poses off -limits if wrists can't go 90 degrees?

3 posts in this topic

Hi y'all -

I know there are a number of poses that require wrists to be at 90 degrees angles for proper alignment. My wrists would break before I hit that point because my bones would touch - this isn't a ligament or tendon issue.  So my question is, are poses such as side-crow completely off-limits if it is anatomically impossible to have a 90-degree angle, or is there a modification I am unaware of that can make these poses accessible?  Thanks!

Hi Bitsy,

I sometimes suffer from week wrists which stops me from having my hands bent back a lot (like jumping through from downward dog to sitting).  In these cases i just make a fist and bear my weight on my knuckles (or at least the flat surface of my fingers between knuckles.  As long as you are careful to keep your wrist strong and stable this should be a modification that works with a lot of asanas.

here is a video as an example..

Thanks! I sometimes do other asanas using my fists, but didn't know if that compromised correct alignment in some of these other poses as the arm is turned at a different angle.  I will play around with this very carefully.