Catriona

Utthita Hasta Padangusth Asana D

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.  I'm looking for some advice regarding Utthita Hasta Padangusth Asana D.

I've been getting pain right in the centre of my thigh of my left leg when holding my leg in the air unsupported.  Can anyone tell me what could be causing this (tight hip flexor for example) and what i can do to resolve it?  

This muscle has been playing up for several years and originally gave me problems during long walks.  It only really hurts while doing the movement rather than after the fact though it is tender today after doing yoga for the first time in a couple of months yesterday.

i appreciate any advice i can get.

Two breaths with leg up, one breath lower the leg to give a little rest, two more breaths up. If you are following the 8 breath count reduce it to 5 for now for this pose.

Try bending the knee.

I don't understand the location you gave. Hip flexor pain is usually at the hip crease. Generally work to strengthen at longer lengths. How? Take 3 breaths to slowly lower the leg.

Is it at the top of the thigh or behind? If at the top, stretch out the quads. Mine used to cramp up when doing that.  Like Anahata said, bending the knee and holding at toe is a good modification - you can work on straightening the leg from that point without tensing the quads up as much.