BadYogi

Is it ok to wear Earbuds in Class

9 posts in this topic

I love everything about my instructors and classes except the music. Music is a big deal for me. All of the instructors say “it’s your yoga, it’s your practice.” So in that spirit I started wearing my earbuds. One instructor cranked up her music even louder, another said I couldn't wear them to her class because she didn't want to encourage other people bringing their phones to her class. After this I stopped wearing my earbuds. If I could just listen to my music, I would have a beautiful class all the time! My phone is always on silent/no vibration/air plane mode during class. I have been a witness to some one talking or texting during class. It's horrible and I would never do that. I usually set up in a corner way in the back. I don't think another participant in class has ever noticed that I was wearing my earbuds. I have the Bose noise cancelling earbuds that plug into my phone.  They block out everything except the instructors voice. I don’t want to make the extra expense and buy wireless and use my apple watch to transmit music. But this would eliminate the phone issue. Am I being crazy? Should I just let this go and listen to the music they play? I want to rebel and use my earbuds but feel like I’m being a bad yogi. 

Not sure if this is cheaper, but are there bluetooth earphones or cheap bluetooth headset that can pair with your phone, and keep your phone in a bag or under a jacket?

Did you tell the instructors you just prefer your own music but can still hear their voice? They might be concerned you can't hear their guidance in case you are out of alignment. I can't imagine an instructor taking that personally - sort of crazy one instructor just cranked up the music in response?!

If the music is too much, maybe try regular earplugs and test if you can still hear the instructor with them. Sort of like doing some poses with your eyes closed, heightens other senses more.

11 hours ago, BadYogi said:

another said I couldn't wear them to her class because ...

IMHO, if an instructor expresses a wish, it should be respected. The 'because' really shouldn't matter, unless it's unreasonable. Politely discuss your preferences with her in private...or find another class that works better for you.

One instructor cranked up her music even louder

If it's too loud or distracting, politely discuss with her in private...or find another class that doesn't overwhelm you.

I've told instructors that I can't hear the instructions over the music, ... they always lower the music.

On the other hand, I have an instructor that likes to make the savasana music louder, which is her (and now, formerly my) favorite song...  I always thought this is supposed to be a time of quiet reflection.

I haven't mentioned that to her, I guess "you pick your battles"

Am I being crazy?

No, although but probably making more of a big deal than it's worth. If you're working hard and concentrating, music or silence shouldn't matter (again, IMHO).

You have another 23 hours a day to listen to your favorite song. :P 

Should I just let this go and listen to the music they play?

I would (and think you should)

Thanks yogafire! Thanks Larry!

I wish music weren't such a big deal for me but it is. It helps me concentrate and it makes me feel good. The only reason I asked was because I thought for sure she would say she didn't care. LOL!! I hadn't asked the previous two instructors. I just wore them. 

In all honesty I think the instructors are offended that I don't like their music.  But class isn't about the instructor and their wishes, its about the participants, right? As long as you're not being disrespectful and disruptive and my safety is not in danger, who cares if I wear my earbuds. I just signed a two year contract (prior to knowing about the music). But I am considering paying the cancellation fee. I'm sure the gym management is going to get a kick out of my reason for cancelling "instructor wouldn't let me wear my earbuds during class," Talk about being a bad yogi. LOL! I really do enjoy the gym and classes. I just wish the yoga instructors didn't care if I had my earbuds.

Some yoga studios don't even play music - maybe you can see if that feels better for you?  Then you can still go to the gym for other workouts (cardio classes, weight lifting) and listen to your own music. Yoga is learning about how to concentrate and focus in different ways, so in silence can be a new way. I disliked my first few classes without music in the beginning and realized I had been using music to distract myself from how laborious class felt at the time.  Preferences change though - now I'm used to no music but think music can be fun once in awhile.

I remember this is why @YogaByCandace doesn't put any music in her online yoga videos!  She said you can play your own soundtrack instead. :)  

I prefer silence. Music, especially those that are popular and have vocal tracks, tend to pull my mind into listening mode, instead of focusing on alignment, posture, etc., or a meditative blankness. I think music could help in some situations (people with ADD or for activities that require motivation, such as running), but I prefer either quiet or the "white noise like" Indian tunes...played softly. 

Today it was Rihanna, Bruno Mars and Cristina Aguilera. I like their music but not during yoga :(  You are right yogafire maybe it's time to practice with no music and wear ear plugs. I love that Candace's videos have no music because I can play my music with her instruction. It's Perfection. Larry the white noise like Indian tunes are what I love!!!! I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but that's what I love listening to before, during and after yoga class. I have tons of albums on my phone. Instead of earbuds it will be ear plugs. Both of you are right. Maybe it's time for me to start practicing with Silence. The universe always has a way of telling you what you need. 

Don't be shy, politely discuss it with them. They work for you and know you can vote with your wallet. Explain how important concentration is and that there's a difference between yoga and indoor cycling or weight lifting. 

If that doesn't work, find a studio that meets your needs. Outside of some remote regions in Antarctica, there are quite a few studios out there

I get overwhelmed easily due to autism, so this is one of those reasons I haven't stepped into a gym to try yoga because one of my coping mechanisms when I'm overwhelmed is I put in ear plugs. There's no not seeing them as they are bright orange as they are wax ear plugs for children (and they don't come in clear!) I'm very picky with music volume as it has to be low or I just get overwhelmed.

I prefer silence because I have to concentrate due to how clumsy I am. I have to think or I fall. That's one of the blessings of practice at home I think. I pick what I want. I don't have perfect silence as usually my dog, Zena, is snoring on my bed (I recently got a Sleep Number and I think she likes it more than I do) but it's sound I can deal with. If I fall, I can laugh at myself, right?

yogafire likes this